Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
G62 227CL
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)
Yeah the AMD V120 processor really old and very slow it can barley handle Google Chorme without having to exceed 100% and slow every bring down. Where can I find the best processor for it like can i7 work if so that be excellent.
20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended

Well an Intel is out of the question, your motherboard has a different kind of socket only compatible with AMD processors. 

In this case you are lucky because most of these low-end processors are soldered on. Yours is socketed and that same socket can take up to  an

AMD Phenom II P950 Processor (2.6 GHZ 2 MB L2 cache 1333MHz)-Quad core 25 W

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Phenom-II-Quad-Core-Mobile-P950-2-1-GHz-Laptop-Processor-CPU-HMN950DCR42...

Your Service Manual

This processor or any of the listed Athlon, Phenom or Turion processors listed on pages 1 and 2 of the Manual would be a night and day upgrade. Your assessment of the V120 is correct. A cell phone has as much processing power. The Manual shows step by step how to replace the processor. Be careful in there is all I can say. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

BASS

Sorry no Intel processors.

You have a lot to choose from.

Your manual here. "Start on page 23."

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02641795

http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/CPUs/AMD/V_Series_for_Notebook_PCs/V120.html

REO

HP Recommended

Does the MODEL matter???

AMD Sempron II V120 Processor (2.2 GHz, 512 MB L2 cache, 1066 MHz, 3.2 GT/s) —Single Core 25 W (for model 1.0 only)

AMD Phenom II P950 Processor (2.1 GHz, 1.5 MB L2 cache, 1066 MHz, 3.6 GT/s) —Triple Core 35 W (for models 1.1 and 1.2 only)

REO

HP Recommended

Those have always been confusing but the motherboards all have the same chipset and I noticed the V160 processor also goes with the Model 1.2. It also seems there are a lot more processors listed in the parts list than in the spec pages at the beginning of the Manual. To be safe I guess it would be a better idea to use on the of the processors for model 1.0. Although I believe any of these processors would work on any of the motherboards. To be even safer get one with the 1066 fsb too:

AMD Turion II N530 Processor (2.5 GHz, 2 MB L2 cache, 1066 MHz, 3.6 GT/s)— Dual Core 35 W (for models 1.0 and 1.1 only)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Turion-II-Dual-Core-Mobile-N530-2-5-GHz-Laptop-Processor-CPU-TMN530DCR23...

HP Recommended
Can my notebook use a 35W processor or am I only restricted to 25W
HP Recommended

Since both 35w and 25w CPUs are designated for Model 1.0, and yours appears to be Model 1.0 I would say you can use a 35w processor but again, to be as safe as possible you might pick a 25w processor also designated for Model 1.0. That does not leave too many options, however. 

AMD Phenom II P920 Processor (1.6 GHz, 2 MB total L2 cache, 1066 MHz)—Quad Core 25 W (for models 1.0 and 1.1 only)

HP Recommended

All I know is that I got this refurbished from my dad and this thing is stripped of alot so I have the basic processor no webcam no bluetooth with only 3GB of ram but I upgraded to 4GB still using the stock 260GB hard drive

HP Recommended

The processor is keeping it from being useful. The AMD processors are cheap but it is a big job to get in there and replace it. If you are sure you can take it apart and get it back together you can have a much more useful laptop (still nothing like a new one, however) for like $10. Happy to help in any other way. 

HP Recommended
I e taken my notebook apart several times. One time to replace the screen because I dropped my backpack and it cracked the screen. Second time was to clean the junk out of the processor fan. I know this laptop inside and out just don't know what parts are comparable to making it useful.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.