Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Envy
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)
I had a computer technician from a local store help upgrade my computer from 8.1 to 10. He apparently ran into problems and decided he had to wipe the system and then do a clean install. My computer didn't have stickers with the windows key on it as all that was apparently saved untie BIOS. Is there anyway to recover the Windows key? I have a second laptop of the same type (my wife's) that was recently upgraded to 10. Are the Windows keys in them the same? Is there anyway I don't have to buy a new Windows key. Microsoft has already said they can't help me.
1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

JHunsley

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

I read your post about needing to recover your original Windows product key and wanted to help.

Starting with Win8x, the product key is stored in the UEFI firmware of the motherboard.

You can retrieve it using this tool:  Showkey - Windows 10 Forums

Good Luck
========================================================================
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my post to say thanks.
If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".
========================================================================

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.