Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Elitebook Folio 1040
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

What is the maximum current the USB ports are meant to be able to supply? I am disappointed that it can't charge my small Samsung phone. I have an inline USB current measurer and the laptop USB when connected through this to the phone can only supply about 330mA. When the phone is plugged into the power adapter which came with it the current is about 700mA.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Find the usb root hub in device manager and select properties and the power tab. It will tell you the max power allocated to usb ports. Mine is 500 mA. And if I tried to measure it with a meter it would likely be lower due to resistance of the device and cable so 330 mA is about right. There is no way to alter the power allocation. 

HP Recommended

Thankyou for your reply. Also, the power adapter with the 1040 has a USB socket which can't supply more than about 330mA so can't charge my phone. Is this expected?

HP Recommended

You mean the adapter brick has a built in usb charging port? 

HP Recommended

yes

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.