Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Compaq nx7300
Microsoft Windows Vista
Hello,

I have an old HP Compaq nx7300 notebook, that I would like to install Win 7 32bit or 64bit (or later if poss) on - in order to run iTunes 12.5 or later properly, so I can use this notebook as an iTunes Media Server sending Apple Music/iTunes media audio to Airplay speakers.

Currently it has Intel Celeron M430 1.73Ghz; 3Gb DDR2 Ram (don't know 'pc' number of Ram); 160Gb HDD, and has Win Vista Home Basic, plus Norton Internet Security Deluxe. I have no idea what the 'family or model name' is of the motherboard.

A local 'PC repair technician' recently 'recovered' it before I found out Vista is too old for iTunes 12.5 or later.

He 're-installed' Vista Home Basic to SP2 as it had no hdd or recovery disc. He also installed an 'extra' 1Gb memory module to use with the 2Gb module already installed, saying: it is the 'pc number' which has to be the same not the 'size' of the modules, if you have two modules fitted. He gave me the module for free anyway.

I 're-activated' Vista on it using the product key on the underside of the casing, & have updated Windows Vista to 'fully updated' (200+ updates). I have no idea if there are any more updates available - I don't think so.

I am not so sure that the notebook actually 'uses' that module, even if it knows it is there. I think it is possible the current motherboard can't use this extra Ram.

I know (or he said) Windows Vista 32 bit can't use more than 3Gb Ram. Is this true?

There have been 2 'other' nx7300 notebooks with Core2 Duo 1.66Ghz & 1.83Ghz processors that I believe have a 667Mhz FSB and a 2Mb L2 Cache instead of the 533Mhz FSB L1 1Mb Cache, apparently used by the Celeron.

I would also assume these are using different motherboards, even if the 'socket or slot' used for the processor is the 'same'.

All three 'versions' of nx7300 mentioned here use the 'same' Intel 945GMA graphics chipset (which I assume is on the motherboard along with the 'cache') and are compatible with 'DirectX 9'

It is not anywhere near fast enough to run properly as it is without Vista constantly crashing, and Vista is now well past it for any future updates.

These 3 versions all shipped with Vista (Business or Home Basic, or possibly even 'Vista Ultimate')

IF it IS possible to 'swap' motherboards to a motherboard with a faster processor, will I also need to change Ram modules as well (e.g. to DDR3)? What other hardware, if any, also needs to be changed or upgraded to run Windows 7 properly?

Any changes needed to the BIOS or other 'software/drivers' are beyond me, even though I have done multiple 'destructive recoveries' on Windows pc's before, but that is easy, as is swapping ram modules, hard drives, & optical drives, etc.

thanks for any help offered
1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended
Update:

I don't actually care if it costs 'more' (within reason) to upgrade this notebook, than to buy a 'new one' since new notebooks with decent spec are far too expensive, plus I prefer to fix what I have, rather than replace as the 'old stuff' then still needs to be dealt with.

thanks
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.