Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
COMPAQ-Presario-CQ57-421SS
Other

When I try to boot from USB I get the message "Missin Operating System"

System:    Host: enri-Presario-CQ57-Notebook-PC Kernel: 4.4.0-53-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.2.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.1)
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.1 Serena
Machine:   System: Hewlett-Packard product: Presario CQ57 Notebook PC v: 068E120000204910000620100
           Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 3577 v: 24.4A
           Bios: Hewlett-Packard v: F.48 date: 12/18/2011
CPU:       Dual core AMD E-300 APU with Radeon HD Graphics (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 5189
           clock speeds: max: 1300 MHz 1: 1114 MHz 2: 1114 MHz

Best regards

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Have you checked your bios settings to see if its on legacy or the other settings? To see which one of them works? This is what nromally happens the bios cant find the operating system....

Please remember to click the like button to help other members if you feel that we have  helped you... Thanks in advance 🙂

HP Recommended

First off and assuming that notebook can boot from USB, the BIOS has inspected the flash drive looking for instructions on where to find the OS.  The flash drive either is faulty or the bootloader was ill prepared to host the OS.

Is the intent to load a live Linux Mint 18.1 Serena or to cause the OS to be installed?

BTW: HERE ARE INSTRUCTIONS on how to prepare the USB and then install the OS.  Scroll down to "Download Linux Mint 18 ISO Images" heading and the Create a bootable media using Unetbootin or dd Command

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Thank you for your prompt attention. I have indeed checked the BIOS. The problem is that I do not find in their menus the option "legaly USB mode support". I attach a link so you can download two pictures of BIO SETUP screens.Best regards

https://www.dropbox.com/s/18jqaeccysi41aj/Im%C3%A1genes.tar.gz?dl=0

HP Recommended

Thank you for your prompt attention. I have installed LinuxMint18  recently, from a USB, without problems. Now I need to go back to LinuxMint17, since version 5 of Libreoffice does not work properly on LinuxMInt18 and I can not wait for this problem to be solved. My surprise was when trying, using a USB in which I loaded the ISO using UnetBootin  (the verification of ISO has been correct), I get the error of the statement of the problem. I have cleared the BIO SETUP and tried changing the boot options, prioritizing the USB, but it does not respond. I am paralyzed without knowing how to follow. I will be grateful for your suggestions. Best regards

HP Recommended

While BIOS pages may be different, I assume the one picture that shows the boot order selection.  Scroll down to that and then open that catagory to select USB.  Show me a picture with that catagory open if you still are having trouble.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Once again, thank you for your interest. I have displayed the requested menus. They are in the file "Imágenes1.tar.gz" in this link

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zzs2oxquzo8afnf/Im%C3%A1genes1.tar.gz?dl=0

Best regards

HP Recommended

Thank you for your prompt attention. I have indeed checked the BIOS. The problem is that I do not find in their menus the option "legaly USB mode support". I attach a link so you can download two pictures of BIO SETUP screens.Best regards https://www.dropbox.com/s/18jqaeccysi41aj/Im%C3%A1genes.tar.gz?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zzs2oxquzo8afnf/Im%C3%A1genes1.tar.gz?dl=0

Best regards

HP Recommended

Yes.  On the screens shown, there does not seem to be a legacy boot option.

On the photo marked 20170207_181153.jpg it is showing that it can boot from the USB DISK 2.0.  If you pick that, what happens?

I'm not an HP employee.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.