Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP 15 laptop
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

The laptop keeps randomly disconnecting from miracast.  The wifi connection to my router keeps running seamlessly but the miracast connection is lost and I have to restart it.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

HI @Paul_Watson,

Welcome to the HP Forums!:smileyhappy:

It is a terrific place to find answers and tips!

For you to have the best experience in the HP forum I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide.

Learn How to Post and More

How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

I grasp that your Miracast continaully disconnects but your wireless connection it unaffected. Miracast uses a Wi-Fi direct  link for the connection and does not use the network router.  Theoretically you could turn the router off and the Miracast should work.

Have you done all your Windows updates?

Have you ran the Windows troubleshooter?

Have you ran the  HP Support Assistant  to aid with HP updates and troubleshooting?

Here is a link to Project to a wireless display with Miracast (from windowsitpro) that may help.

If you have a firewall running have you tried adding the Miracast connection to the white list?

If you disable the firewall temporarily do you have the same issue?

To say thanks for replying please click the thumbs up icon below. 

Good Luck!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Thanks - I tried all those but with no luck.  However, it seems to run fine when I'm watching something on BBC iPlayer but continually disconnects when I watch BT Sport, which I believe uses Silverlight.  Could this be significant?

HP Recommended

Hi @Paul_Watson,

Thank you for the update. 

Yes that could be important.  Is there any updates for Silverlight available? When it disconnects is it just the program your watching that stops or does the display itself disconnect.

If it is just the program it could be the web site.

Have you checked for viruses and malware which could affect your performance?  MS Malicious Software Removal Tool

Here is a link to HP PCs - Resolving slow system performance (Windows 😎

I hope this helps!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Thanks.  The display itself disconnects.

I've done all the latest updates for Silverlight.

The malicious software removal tool found nothing.

I'm running Avast and Malwarebytes.  They also report no problems.

HP Recommended

Hi @Paul_Watson,

Thank you for the update.

As this appears to only happen when using Silverlight, have you tried using a different browser with it?

Here is a link to Frequently asked questions about Silverlight  which will help with support options for you to explore.

This link will provide the  browser that support it.  Click on 'system requirements"

Microsoft Silverlight

Hope this  helps!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

I'll try it on different browsers and let you know

HP Recommended

On W10 & probably W8, after much time & frustartion, I found the following fix.

1)  Open "Local Security Policy Editor"

2) Click on "Windows Defendor Firewall with Advanced Secuirty - Local Group Plolicy Object"

3) Click "Windows Deender Firewall Properties

4) ClicK "Public Profile" tab at top

5) Click "Customize Settings"

6) Select Yes for "Display a Notificaion"

7) Select Yes to allow Unicast Respone

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.