Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre 15-bl000 x360 Convertible PC

Have a late model 2017 Spectre x360 (15-BL112DX -- the 15inch 16GB ram 4k model)

Experienced periodic freezing of screen shortly after purchasing the laptop. Would have periods without, but always would return. Battery on or battery off. Wifi on or wifi off.

Updated all the drivers I could. Read about fixes; applied popular wifi fix noted on this forum.

Still freezing.

Finally did a few things:

1) Reset bios to factory default. May have still been a few freezes after this... might not be this. 

2) ***Likely the fix*** Went to "Intel Graphics Settings" (from control panel or right click desktop) 

Went to the power options. Disabled "Panel Refresh" in both battery and non. Disabled "Display Power Saving Technology" under "On Battery" options.

Haven't had a freeze since. 

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Thanks for contributing on the forum!

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

I am looking into the issue myself, as I have a 15-bl112dx that has plauged me with random freezing issues since day one... even went through the hastle of sending it to HP... Fingers crossed this fix might work, I've tried everthing in the books other than this, but it seems like it could be the issue, as it doesn't seem to happen with Safe Mode, considering it loads only basic Windows drivers... I'll update this with what I find if this actually does help, considering for me the freezing can happen anywhere within a 5 minute time span to well over a few hours.

*shrugs* :catvery-happy: Thanks for the imput on the forms though, every little bit helps people like me!

HP Recommended

Thank you SO MUCH for providing this suggestion, it fixed my freezing issue after the April Update.

The freezing issue has been persistent since I got the computer. It's infuriating because it's not the computer freezing, more the display forgetting to update, because I can continue working and then when the display unfreezes, my inputs have been processed. It's infuriating and makes the laptop impossible to use.

For most of my ownership, the issue only happened when not connected to power. The first solution I had (October '17) was to disable power saving on the wireless adapter.

After the December update, I had to come up with a new solution, which turned out to be disabling the AC Adapter driver. Weirdly, the lag always persisted when not connected to the internet and on battery.

The April update created the problem again, and that's where adjusting the display power settings has fixed things, as mentioned above. But the latest round of lag would persist when on charge! There was no escape! I'm so glad this is solved.

However, this has re-awoken another issue I've been having which is that my panel flashes what's in the top half, in the bottom half, creating a weird flickering effect. I'd rather have that than the freezing though.

I suppose that's what I get for importing a refurbished laptop with a 3 month warranty. Shame the HP warranty extensions are basically impossible to buy 😞

Well at least I've fixed the lag issue, for now.

HP Recommended

Model: HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15-bl0XX 2017, 15" 4k, 16GB RAM, F.39 BIOS, Windows 10 Pro x64, SSD Samsung Evo 960 M.2 500GB (installed by me)

Hi,

My freezing has gotten a lot worse recently and started happening suddenly about a month ago. It coincided with F.39 BIOS update give or take a day or two. The system would become completely unresponsive and only power off switch could be used to restart it. My logical conclusion was that the BIOS update messed things up.

It was probably not the case for me as today is the first day that I have been completely freeze free!

What I did and did not do:

1) BIOS reset to factory as recommended - did not bother to do it as I wanted to make a backup first 🙂

2) Disabled "Display Power Saving Technology" under "On Battery"  and "On power" options - as suggested

3) Updated wireless and BT drivers through Intel Driver and Support Assistant (HP SA was showing everything up to date, which was not true!)

4. ) Did not fiddle with any wireless settings

5. ) Scanned the sh*t out of my SSD with Malwarebytes (updated the Samsung drivers, firmware was already up to date)

6. ) Unistalled Acronis True Image 2015 (incidentally installed right around the time of the BIOS update)

BINGO!

Seems Acronis was the culprit for me. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.