Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Sleekbook 14 PC
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

I have only 2 drives in HDD (OS + Recovery). I want to make more drive in HDD.

From beginning of purchase I don't have any windows activation key or serial key also don't have any drivers for display, sound, wifi, lan etc etc.

Please advice me-

1) How to activate my windows after new installation,

2) How to get drivers,

3) What to do with Recovery drive while in windows partition.

Regards....

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Windows 8 does not come with a Key Code sticker as with previous versions. The activation Code is embedded in the BIOS of the laptop so if you install the licensed version of Windows 8 it should activate itself automatically. 

If you can provide the exact model we can link you to drivers. They are provided here for download but we need to know your exact hardware to link you to the right drivers. 

Why don't you explain to us what you are trying to do and what is happening when you try to do it to help us help you?

HP Recommended

OK, so let's sort through the information you have given.

• You want to activate Windows after installing it? Sure, I can tell you how, but it wouldn't be directly from Microsoft - but let's think. From what I see you joined this year, so I will assume you have Windows 10. Windows 10 has this thing called "digital activation", I believe in which it uses the hardware/software to verify if it's really you. If that doesn't work, contact Microsoft.[content removed]
  • You want to get drivers, huh? Go to support.hp.com and find your computer model.
  • What to do with the Recovery drive? Well, since I think you have reinstalled Windows, the recovery drive is useless. Open Disk Management by running diskmgmt.msc, and delete the recovery drive. (IF POSSIBLE)
HP Recommended

Shrink your hdd and you will have free space for new volume

To shrink a volume, follow these steps:

1. First, clean up some of the crap. ...
  2. Open the Disk Management console. ...
  3. Right-click a volume. ...
  4. Choose Shrink Volume from the shortcut menu. ...
  5. Set the amount of disk space to release. ...
  6. Click the Shrink button to reduce the drive's size

Before shrinking defragment you hdd to atchieve more soace to be shrinked

HP Recommended

That would not get rid of the recovery drive, it would just put some other space aside.

HP Recommended

first from original post the guy just want to have one more volume on his HDD as now he has recovery volume and full main volume on HDD if he wants one more aditional volume he dont need to reinstall windows to break HDD in to volumes. I dont think he want to get rid of recovery volume.

" I want to make more drive in HDD" his words and wish.

HP Recommended

Hi mate,

The problem is I don't have any windows CD with me. While of purchase the seller told me, if I install win 8 it will automatically activate the windows from BIOS. Is it true?

Actually I want to devide my HDD into more drives and reinstall win 8 again...

HP Recommended

Hi andriuskarpas,

Please have a look---

win8.jpg

My questions:

1) What to do if I want to make more drives ?

2) As I heard OS C: is a primary drive so I cannot devide into more without windows setup. If i reinstall new win 8 (same as now) what to do with RECOVERY 😧 ? Should I format/delete as well ?

3) After win 8 installation how could I activate my win 8? Because I don't have any original WIn 8 cd or serial/activation number.

Regards,

HP Recommended

@airduke wrote:

Hi andriuskarpas,

Please have a look---

win8.jpg

My questions:

1) What to do if I want to make more drives ?

2) As I heard OS C: is a primary drive so I cannot devide into more without windows setup. If i reinstall new win 8 (same as now) what to do with RECOVERY 😧 ? Should I format/delete as well ?

3) After win 8 installation how could I activate my win 8? Because I don't have any original WIn 8 cd or serial/activation number.

Regards,

1:) you have no ability to add more phizical drives as HDD only you can do to change your 500Gb to 1Tb HDD or use external HDD connected via USB

2: As i have said you dont need to reinstall windows if you want aditional vloume on your HDD, you have recovery partition , you have C: volume and shrinking it you can make one more or even more volumes as volume :F . If you decide to reinstall win 8 with your one so you can format your disk fully and delete your recovery disk.

3: before installing win8 make sure you have a valid windows 8 key . you can obtain it following steop given by technet microsoft

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/20346.how-to-find-out-your-windows-8-pro...

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.