cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Spifty
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

New OS installation

HP Recommended
Pavillion dv5
Microsoft Windows Vista

Windows not opening because boot device isn't found & there's a checksum error too. Need to install a new OS - which is compatible with the Pavillion dv5? How can I backup the files since Windows isn't loading? The requisite answers will be duly appreciated.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Huffer
Level 17
Level 17
44,687 44,464 7,167 12,711
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well backing up and installing a new OS depends on the integrity of the existing hardware, primarily the hard drive. Can you enter the BIOS by tapping F10 as you power up and look for the hard drive self-test? Please run it and report back. Need the full model number to check hardware. It may run Windows 10 but some optional video hardware may make it more adviseable to install Windows 7. 

0 Kudos
iomare
Level 15
Level 15
11,200 11,140 2,205 4,490
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Have you tried setting Bios to default settings to see if the checksum error disappears.

Often when boot device is not found it could mean that the hard drive has failed or the boot record has been corrupted. If the hard drive has failed it could be difficult to recover any files easily.

To recover files you could try attaching the hard drive to a different computer, internally to desktop with sata cable or through usb hub to another notebook. You could also boot the computer, which isn't working, with live linux CD and transfer files to external drive. (if hard drive is good)

You could also try running HP diagnostics on the drive at startup from Bios.

You did not provide exact model of your PC, so I do not know exact specs to advise a OS. How much RAM? The CPU?

Let me know,

David

0 Kudos
Spifty
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The product number is: F505EA#ACQ

0 Kudos
Spifty
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The product number is: F505EA#ACQ.

I have done the "hard-drive self test" but it's negative. 

0 Kudos
Spifty
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Notebook model: HP Pavilion dv5 Notebook PC

Processortype: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5800 @ 2.00GHz

Total memory: 3072MB

Serial number: CNF8404BBv

Factory installed Os: Vista

System board ID: 3603

Product number: FZ505EA#ACQ

InsydeH@) version: F.0C

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation