Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Dear HP

I have a Pavilion dv7-4050ea laptop.

I am able to connect my laptop via HDMI to my Panasonic HDTV (TX-P42V10B). Video transfer is in HD. Sound is also transmitted but only in 2 channel format rather than 5.1 channel format. In the sound settings via control panel I have tried to reconfigure the 'ATI HDMI Output' (ATI High Definition Audio Device) settings [ATI Technologies Inc. driver 7.11.0.7707] but there is only a 2ch and no 5.1ch setting. The same is the case in the 'Speakers and Headphones' (IDT High Definition Audio CODEC) setting [IDT driver 6.10.6292.0].

The 5.1ch output setting should be present as Windows 7 professional is compatible with this as should be my laptop, and my TV has an inbuilt Dolby Digital processor which conveys 5.1Ch sound to my home cinema unit.

Please help!

Many thanks

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Have you tried using the HDMI pass Thru Option in HP MediaSmart DVD Application?

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
HP Recommended

HDMI Pass Through option stops sound output completely. HDMI PCM option works but only codes 2CH output - again failure of 5.1ch output.

In addition, I would also like the 5.1ch output for applicationsin addition to HP Mediasart DVD - e.g. BBC iplayer  online (which for HD programmes is encoded in 5.1 surround).

But getting any application to transmit in 5.1 would be great...

HP Recommended

OK...As I thought, So the TV has Software Level Dolby Enhancement and the Notebook by itself does not come with Digital Audio Decoder as well...

You will need a Home Theater system the support Digital Audio to get 5.1 Audio setup...

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
HP Recommended

My home cinema system DOES support and decode Dolby & DTS 5.1. This is connected to my TV via optical cable.

TV transmissions from Freesat that are in Dolby Digital 5.1 do output correctly in 5.1 via my home cinema system, this is why I know for a fact that my TV DOES output in Dolby Digital 5.1. There is a light on my Home cinema system which confirm the inputted sound is 2ch or 5.1ch.

There is no error with my TV or Home cinema System - there is a problem with my Pavilion laptop failing to output 5.1.

From my understanding there is no need for the laptop to necessarily have a 5.1 decoder it just needs to output a 5.1 signal digitally via HDMI.

HP Recommended

Yup, That is correctly... It will only do so if you set that HDMI setting to Pass-Thru...

On the setup, you have... As you mentioned...that if you set the Pass Thru option on...are you not getting audio out TV or the Home theater System?

HP Recommended

Indeed there is no output via HDMI pass thru.

Surely there should be a setting in the Control panel - sound configuration rather than vis the Mediasmart program

HP Recommended

After like 10 hours of research I finally solved this, I installed media player classic (with the Windows Essential Codec pack) and ffdshow.  Then I opened a video that has 5.1 audio and right-clicked on the video screen, went to Filters, then ffdshow Audio Decoder, I checked the "Mixer" box, beside "Output speakers configuration" I selected "same as input", then back under the Mixer box I clicked "Input/Output", checked the "AC3" box, then clicked ok

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.