Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi.

I'm going to try and keep this post short and not rant on if I can help it..

Sound icon (bottom right in task bar) displays 'No Audio Output Device is Installed' with a red cross over it.. Conexant/High Definition Audio Driver can be installed, just not correctly or in other words it fails .. Device Manager ...

Well to be honest its not really necessary to go into all that.

So I have a friends 2 or 3 year old HP DV6500 (or dv6615em) which is given a Vista Home Premium x86 OS re-install, simple enough, right ..?

I thought so anyway, but it now seems and I strongly believe (especially after taking in all that I readup online at various sites/forums and trying all the various so called solutions/fixes) the laptops 'sound device' is never going to work again.

Believe me I have tryed every known fix to hopefully sort this problem out, EVERYTHING (except of course replacing the actual sound unit which is situated well within the laptop).

I'm not on here asking/looking for a solution or any potential fixes because I have tryed them all (and yes even re-installing the OS and trying everything all over again many times), there doesnt seem to be any fixes in this case (and many, many others experiencing the same problem/issues).

I think it is absolutly discusting the amount of HP customers suffering the same/similar ordeal as myself.

My conclusion as to why there is no longer any sound on the laptop is quite simply either the actual 'sound device' unit is faulty or theres a problem with Vista recognising the 'sound device'. What is to blame?

There are probably many thousands of HP customers wondering the very same thing, everyday. Those customers also want and deserve a fix - one way or another.

Like I said this is a friends laptop, which is now without sound. I WANT A FIX - though it looks extremely unlikely we will ever get one.

Yes I can appreciate that the 'sound device' could actually be faulty and could need replacing. But If that is the case then I must be one out of how many..?

Overall I cant believe the amount of people suffering with this problem and in all or most cases there being no actual solution.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I decided to purchase a Lindy USB audio adapter to hopefully add sound again to the dv6615em.

When the Lindy adapter arrived and I tried to install the device it would not install properly or failed.

Thinking that was it, nothing will work, sound is gone forever I chose once again to format & reinstall the laptop using OS Vista (Home Premium) 32bit, but this time a version without the service packs included.

I could not believe it when the installation completed and the sound icon did not have the dreaded X through it!

After installing wireless network adapter I went onto install SP1 first and then use Windows update.

As far as I was concerned the laptops sound device had 'had it'.  It seems by installing the same OS but without any service packs was the answer to my particular problem ?

View solution in original post

138 REPLIES 138
HP Recommended

I have the same problem with my Pavilion dv6700 CTO notebook with Vista 64-bit.

I'm almost certain this problem is not with the hardwarde at all. My sound is continuing to go in and out. It will miraculously work one day but when i reboot the computer it doesn't work. Also on boot-up i accidentely held a key and a long beep came out of my speakers, so I know that they do indeed work. However they are not recognized along with my cd-drive and quicktouch. So it has to be with Vista and the OS. I'm not sure if they will ever find a fix for it, but i think it should be easy for them to send out some type of update correcting this in their OS.

HP Recommended

I have tryed operating systems XP Pro SP2 32bit, Vista Home Premium 64bit & 32bit both versions with SP1.

I wish its a software issue and not hardware but for me its near enough impossible to say either way. Great if your correct mind, this should mean theres more than a possibility of a fix somehow, right?

I'm aware of attatching a USB audio device for perhaps basic audio in/out function, but thats beside the point.

HP Recommended
I'm having the exact same problem along with the cd-rom drive no longer being recognized. I'm just waiting to see what's going to go wrong next. I'm wondering if installing windows 7 will fix the problem, as it does seem to be more of a software issue since sometimes a system restore corrects the problem for a day or so.
HP Recommended

I decided to purchase a Lindy USB audio adapter to hopefully add sound again to the dv6615em.

When the Lindy adapter arrived and I tried to install the device it would not install properly or failed.

Thinking that was it, nothing will work, sound is gone forever I chose once again to format & reinstall the laptop using OS Vista (Home Premium) 32bit, but this time a version without the service packs included.

I could not believe it when the installation completed and the sound icon did not have the dreaded X through it!

After installing wireless network adapter I went onto install SP1 first and then use Windows update.

As far as I was concerned the laptops sound device had 'had it'.  It seems by installing the same OS but without any service packs was the answer to my particular problem ?

HP Recommended

Hello All!

I have a hp pavilion dv5t with vista – 64 bit

This problem is now happening to me.  I’m a part time VJ (video jockey) and I use my lap top for the gig – usually just every Saturday.  After I’m done with a gig, there are times I don’t even break out my lap top again until the following Friday or Saturday.  I purchased the lap top in December 2008, finally got everything up and running April 2009 (with my VJ software and all), so for a year, all was fine.  I go to turn on my lap top this past Saturday, March 6, 2010 and notice the volume icon with the “x” on it reading “no audio output device installed.”

To try and make this short, I went thru the basic steps.  Chatted with an HP tech online, checked a few things – nothing.  Handed over my lap top to a VJ friend who is very knowledgeable about computers and lap tops and here is everything he has done so far:

Disabled the sound drivers, re-installed them, re-installed the operating system using recovery partition, re-installed original configured sound card drivers, installing or updated the latest version of bios (pardon my wording but I'm not tech savvy). NONE OF THIS HAS WORKED.

So now my friend plans to re-install windows.  We don’t know what else to do.  I guess I’ll forward my friend this thread – maybe what the poster above did (graphicsound) is the answer?  Somebody else also said to me that I may want to look into using an external sound card.  I don’t know.

HP Recommended

Whatever you don't install Windows 7 as a possible solution.  I recently upgraded from XP to Windows 7 and lost the sound.  HP does not have and updated sound driver for Windows 7 and from what I have learned, they have no ongoing effort to do so.  They seem to have an indifferent attitude and their solution is to buy another PC.

To bad, because the PC has been great up to this point, but now I question if I will ever get another HP product.

HP Recommended

hi,

can anyone please advice me how to sort this problem out , please ??

thanks

HP Recommended

Hello guys can anyone help me with this compaq dumb Presario with the problem of sound.

HP Recommended

tried my thread ? posted in forum here

u can get audio back if u can repair it with startup repair (look how i did it in my thread)

my idea is u can get it back from boot (last best known configuration) because your hardware is still in there

But problem persists WINDOWS UPDATE IS THE CULPRIT AND  THE SECURITY UPDATES

adding security bla bla bla in such a way the OS became chaos .

and by the looks of it it will continue on in windows 7 .

So when u have your sound back like i do u can try to stop window update

WINDOWS=POISON and we have no other choice than to use it because it came with our laptop.

so if u have a 6500 or a 9000 or presario ,makes no difference and u can buy a new one but u will be done for again ofc

So what needs to be done is microsoft to fix this (and i doubt they will ,because they have a tendency to put something new on the market in stead of fixing their old OS.)

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.