Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi All,

i cant see any available wireless networks even they are available and always i see red x mark on wirelss icon beside the clock.

laptop : HP ProBook 4540s

WiFi Adapter : Ralink RT3290 802.11bgn Wi-Fi Adapter

i installed the latest update by connecting laptop to eithernet cable and searching throw devise manager, alwas it says :

"the best driver software for your device is up to date"

please any idea to help.

thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Many thanks for your fast answer, actually this problem solved by changing the country/region of wifi adapter from device manager i tried more than region till i got access to available networks.

thanks again 🙂

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

If you can get to the Internet and Google (or other Search Engine), you know that there are only a few answers to this issue.

Most of issues and solutions center around your setup and whether or not your adapter card is working properly.

• You do, of course, need to have your wireless switched on first.

• If you have recently used a wireless setting in which you had a static IP address assigned for your DNS server, for your ISP service, for example, you must reset your configuration to allow the IP address to be obtained "automatically"

Control Panel > icon view > Network and Sharing Center > Change Adapter Settings >

Right-Click on your Wireless "Wi-Fi" > Properties >

In "This connection uses the following items", Scroll down to

Click on  Internet Protocol Internet Version 4 (TCP/IP/IPv4)

Properties > CHECK "Obtain an IP address automatically" > OK

===================================================================================

Below is some help you can use to assure that you have your settings in order.

HP Notebook PCs - Setting Up a New Connection to a Wireless Local Area Network (Windows 7)

Solve Setup and Internet Connection Issues on a Wireless Network with Windows 7

Because you are apparently looking for mulitiple wireless networks, I assume you are not trying to connect to a home network of your own devising.  Nonetheless, below find the information for setting up a home network in case you do need this information:

How to Set Up a Home Network in 5 Simple Steps

Start here to set up a home network in Windows 7

Good Luck!

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

See a Post that is useful - or that teaches you something you did not know?

Your HP Experts are here to help.

Click the Kudos Star!  It is a great “Thank You” for the Author.

Year of the Snake 2013

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Wireless Network Will Not Connect Automatically On Boot

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended
Many thanks for your fast answer, actually this problem solved by changing the country/region of wifi adapter from device manager i tried more than region till i got access to available networks.

thanks again 🙂
HP Recommended

Good and fine!  I am glad it is working!

Happy Computing!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

How can i change the Country/region of wifi adapter

HP Recommended

What if after I clicked into "Change Adapter Settings" and there's no "Wi-Fi " for me to click in it's properties? What I'm gonna do if my case was like this?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.