Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 13-r010dx x2 Detac
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am trying to reset my notebook, however, when I go through the steps to do a system reset, I get the message that the laptop cannot reset. I have tried multiple times but cannot reset the computer. Is there another way to reset my computer? If not, how can I get a system back up to completely redue my system? I would like to get it back to factory default. Thank you for you help!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @Hayden2020

Thank you for posting in the HP Support forum. Welcome!

Your PC model originally comes with Windows 8 (8.1) preinstalled. I see you have written that your use W10.

I suspect it was upgraded to Windows 10 and Windows 10 upgrade has corrupted your Windows 8.1 HP recovery partition, therefore you cannot reset to Windows 8.1 the easy was.

There are 2 ways to reset to default settings:

- either perform clean installation of Windows 10 - I will tell you how

or

- use HP original recovery media [recovery USB device] to reinstall Windows 8.1

Please, let me know which operating system you prefer - Win 8.1 or Win 10 and I will post you specific instructions how to do what is needed.

Looking forward to your reply

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Thank you IT_WinSec for your help. I would like to perform a clean installation of Windows 10. The laptop origionally came with Windows 10.  I didn't have the computer in front of me yesterday when I first posted and I couldn't remember the exact model so I took a guess. I have the exact model now, it's an hp x2 detachable 10-P0XX. I don't know if that makes a difference or not. I have tried every option that is given in the windows 10 recovery choices, just to see if anything would work to fix the computer. Every option I have selected,  fails to complete. I'm guessing that my recovery partiation has been damaged like you said.

HP Recommended

You are very welcome @Hayden2020

🙂

Yes, there is a difference as different PCs have different specs and use different recovery media.

13-r010dx has Windows 8, while x2 detachable 10-P0XX is a set of different series

But I would need to idenfity the concrete model in hope to give you concrete insturctions

1. Please, shutdown the computer using the power button

2. Power it on.

2.1 As soon as you press the power-on button, immediately begin hitting the Esc button (like tap-tap-tap).

This should open a HP Startup Menu which may look similar to this one

3. Choose F1 to open System Information

4. Do you see a product number (PN) there or some more details about the model ? Can you post them back here ?

Thank You !

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

IT_WinSec here is the information you requested. The product number is: X7U46UA#ABA     Born on date: 11/07/2016.  System board ID: 827C     System board CT #: PGBVB028J420UX  Bios Version: F.11  Processor type: Intell R atom (tm) X5-Z8350 CPU @ 1.44ghz  Total Memory: 2gb  Primary battery: SN 00518 08/16/2016  Feature Byte: 3K69 6B7K 7P7R 7WAB APAQ ASAU AWBW BHBZ CVCB DTDU DYDQ .AF  Build ID: 16WW3LPX602#SABA#DABA 

I'm guessing this is more ifnormation than you needed but I figured I'd rather give you more than not enough.

Thanks again. I really apreciate it. Smiley Happy

HP Recommended

Hi @Hayden2020

Thank you for following the instructions.

Just to be on the safe side, please repeat the steps above but instead of pressing F1, this time press F2 to open the system diagnostics.

Please, perform system diagnostics (quick test for example) and let me know the results.

If this is not available, just perform HDD and RAM checks.

With regards to the recovery media (if the hardware checks pass fine):

- you can obtain HP Recovery media from this web site > http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-10-x2-Notebook-PC-series/12499232/model/13583138

- click on "Order Recovery Media..." to expand it

- follow the on-screen instructions to order the media

Once you receive it, you need to insert the USB device and boot from it.

Here are detailed instructions how to get it done >> http://hp.dezide.com/ts/start.jsp?guide=HPSystemRecovery.net&section=ccweb&SFS=tdoc&language=english...

Your PC is probably still with active warranty period - if this is the case, you may contact HP Support directly for in-warranty free service ( I guess this will take a bit more time than doing it yourself). Also, should you encounter issues with the purchase of the recovery media you will also need to contact HP directly. Here is how:

>> https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp/

HP-Phone-numbers.png

Let me know how it goes and if you face difficulties.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.