Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
PAVILION 14-AB123TX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a question on PUP.

what is PUP?
what is the effect after i delete the PUP?
PUP is a virus? strong or weak?

i don't know how to eliminate all the residue of this PUP that attacked my laptop because i have deleted 2 PUP but they left some strange feeling to me. as my laptop feel a bit hot and sometimes the mouse pointer rolling unexpectedly. and when i am using my internet and i download something, the downloading session become slow and slower. This never happened before.

do you have any ways to check and permanently delete them before i do the RECOVERY DISC. because you said if i create the disc now means the virus will flow too. and when i do recovery the virus will stay back.  it is very sad for me.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

A PUP is a "potentialy unwanted program" and is not virus. It wasn't created to destroy your PC but are programs which can create problems mainly with navigating. Attaching themselves to the Browser and creating other unwanted effects. Nothing to worry about much. Nearly all computers I clean have PUPs on them.

OK. Try downloading this free program and update and then scan (Malwarebytes anti-Malware)

https://www.malwarebytes.com/

After scanning computer and cleaning, reboot the computer and run progra again and delete all files from quarantene. Uninstall program when finished.

Now download this other program by Malwarebytes and scan computer (anti adware)

https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/

This should clean the computer and any leftover files.

Hope it helps,

David

HP Recommended

@Bevilati

The volunteer @iomare  has already provided you excellent advice, so there is no need for me to add to their suggestions.

But what I will tell you is that it is VERY EASY to get PUPs onto your PC -- in some cases, without your knowledge!

When you download anything FREE from the Internet, there are often popup screens that indicate other products that will be installed automatically as a result of your download.  

The more reputable software suppliers (like Adobe), put up a window showing you what else will be installed and allow you to deselect the items you do not want.

The less reputable suppliers simply bundle the other stuff with your download and install it silently.

One of the benefits of running antimalware like MBAM is that it can detect and remove these PUPs after you accidentally or unintentionally installed them.

But, whenever you download anything, play close attention to the windows and don't just click OK before reading the fine print.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.