Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Salute, sir!

I registered into this forum just to get a chance to thank you for providing this solution for which I have been searching for months to find!

It worked just as you described.

My model was a Pavilion-g6-1b67ca and it's saved a lot of headaches for me!

Thanks again!

HP Recommended

Thanks for the tip.  My hard drive benchmarks improved by almost 30% with the bios downgrade too.

HP Recommended

chrispilot2293 you're KING. Thankyou! I replaced my dead motherboard on my HP G6-1d60us and ended up getting BSoD "unexpected_store_exception" on most power on, sleep, awake from sleep, hybernate state.  Updated all drivers to no avail. Check memory and HD extensively. Updated bios, rather downgraded bios, HP site had F48 and motherboard had F49, not sure where that came from. That downgrade got rid of unexpected_store_exception and worked fine on typical power on and off. Could put unit to sleep, but waking caused new BSoD that flashed by and I could not read it. Fortunately I came across this post. I guess I was headed in the right direction, just needed to go one further. Thanks again!

HP Recommended

LP_boondocker, do you mean that you tried "downgrading" from F.49 to F.48, and since that didn't work well you went  to F.46? I have this same problem on a g6-1d21dx. My machine has F.49, but the support page says the latest version is F.48.

Why has HP not issued a fix for this problem? My computer has had tons of problems with sleep and hibernate dating back to when it was still new, with Windows 7!

So far, my solution under Windows 10 is to disable fast startup in power settings and remove sleep and hibernate from the power menu.

HP Recommended

F.46 is what you want.

Note that it's not going to fix all power-related problems, just this specific one that occurs in a specific way in Win 8.1 and Win 10.

It's not surprising that HP doesn't post BIOS updates anymore for older systems. All the vendors tend to do that.

MS, on the other hand, should have seen this problem in their telemetry and pushed out a fix years ago. It's not like the OS's in question are out of support. They've pushed out plenty of fixes for exactly this sort of problem.

HP Recommended

Yes diamante, bios F.48 partially solved the problem but F.46 completely resolved it. Prior to MB replacement things were fine. I did not know what flavor bios I had when the MB died and had no idea that was my problem when I replaced MB. We blindly accept manufactures updated bios to resolve problems, not create them. Just flash bios with F.46 and print out and follow chripilot2293 post on page 4. Previous bios are found on HP support page just below most current one.

HP Recommended

Thanks LP_boondocker for the reply. Another problem I'm noticing under Windows 10 is that I can't seem to burn to DVD media successfully. The discs are written but they fail verification and are unusable. Device manager shows my "DVD/CD-ROM drive" as "hp CDDVDW SN-208BB ATA Device". Is this the drive you have, and have you used yours to burn discs successfully under Windows 10?

A note to anyone looking for the older BIOS files: On the driver download page the older files are only available if you specify that your OS is Windows 7. Under Windows 8 they only provide F.48. (F.49, of course, is nowhere to be found.)

HP Recommended

I decided to give it a try on my Pavilion g6-1d21dx running 32-bit Windows 10, and it worked.  The steps were exactly as described on p.4 of this thread, and sleep and hibernate now work. I assume fast startup works as well, but I haven't enabled it and may not because my startup is already very fast. Also, when you have fast startup enabled I believe you don't get the option of hitting esc when the computer is starting to get to your startup options.

The BIOS rollback did not fix the problem with my DVD burner; I am still unable to get DVDs to burn and verify without an error. This may be because I am using old burning software (CyberLink Power2Go version 6.0.2202, which came with my Vista-era Compaq CQ60 and worked fine under 64-bit Windows 7), but I'm not entirely optimistic because the Windows Disc Image Burner is also not able to burn Windows 10 installation discs from iso files created using the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool.

After downgrading my BIOS from F.49 to F.46, I noticed the following changes in Device Manger:

The name of my DVD-RW drive changed from hp CDDVDW SN-208BB ATA Device to just hp CDDVDW SN-208BB (i.e., it is no longer labled as an ATA Device). The ATA Device label also disappeared from the name of my hard drive (an SSD I recently installed), and under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers I now have only one device instead of three. Under revision F.49 I had ATA Channel 0, ATA Channel 1 and Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller. Now, under F.46, I only have AMD SATA Controller.

HP Recommended

@diamante wrote:

After downgrading my BIOS from F.49 to F.46, I noticed the following changes in Device Manger:

The ATA Device label also disappeared from the name of my hard drive (an SSD I recently installed), and under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers I now have only one device instead of three. Under revision F.49 I had ATA Channel 0, ATA Channel 1 and Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller. Now, under F.46, I only have AMD SATA Controller.

While I'm not sure why a BIOS change would do that, that's typical in Windows. For example, it's often the case that it'll say something like IDE ATA/ATAPI when running the controller in IDE mode, and maybe Standard SATA AHCI Controller when running in AHCI. It's not like any devices are missing now, it's just a naming thing. I expect that AMD SATA Controller means you're in AHCI mode, which is the preferred mode.

HP Recommended

Wonderful Solution ChrisPilot, thank you, thank you!! 🙂 It was so easy following your instructions from a copy/paste email to my iPhone while my HP g6-1d46dx went through each step following the F48 to F46 BIOS downgrade and I'm only sorry that I didn't catch your post MUCH EARLIER!

WHY is HP not updating their Support BIOS page information to show what you and many others have already confirmed?? BIOS F48 is only Windows 7-compatible and BIOS F46 appears to be the latest version that is compatible with Windows 8 and 10! The fix was just as stated – it corrected the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers as shown in Device Manager to the required AMD SATA Controller that worked so well with Windows 10 on my HP g4-2320dx right from the initial Win10 upgrade.

For a year I struggled with my HP g6-1d46dx Windows 10 upgrade, a clean install to Win10 v1511, a BIOS downgrade from F49 to F48 (insufficient) and a clean install to Win10 v1607. Microsoft only wanted to fault my hardware and yet Windows 7 worked perfectly and all of the HP Diagnostic test results were OK. Such a waste of everyone’s time when ChrisPilot’s Win10 solution has been posted since January of this year and Windows 8 posts back to 2013 confirmed this solution as well!

HP, you can do SO MUCH better for your loyal customers- a few HP Support BIOS page updates may save a TON of Windows 10 support effort for HP and Microsoft for any user’s notebook shipped with Insyde BIOS F48 & F49!! Who can please elevate our posts to an HP Support ticket please and also post confirmation of the ticket# please??

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.