Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
i registered just to give you a kudo! i knew absolutely nothing about computer but i'm able to fix it by following your instruction, you saved me! thank you!
HP Recommended
For me it worket by reseting the Bios. I pulled out the batrery, started the computer. It automaticaly stopped after 3s. I put the battery back, the computer starts with the bios reseted and everything works fine now. Hope this helps.
HP Recommended

I have a 5 year old HP DV2000 running on Vista 64 bit, which has also recently starting to freeze, just after the windows logo appears and the startup screen. The strange part is that nothing can be done to shutdown, except take out the battery. Usually when the system hangs I can hold the power button down for 5 -10 seconds and it'll just shut off.

Also, once the screen freezes it appears to 'waste' i.e. the screen colour fades out, whitout appears all over, and tiny specks of white everywhere. Such as the screen loses the ability to project light or something. Once I startup again and it asks whether I want to run windows normally, it will usually work that time and bootup, but on the rare occassion it will freeze again after the safe mode message and Ill have to pull out the battery again. Almost always on the 3rd time it will bootup fully. How can I fix this? It is the RAM or static that's the problem. I appreciate to hear from someone who's experienced this and knows how to fix it. 

cheers.

HP Recommended
Since this is a SFW board, I will just say.......YOU are THE #@$% MAN...

One thing to note though. I disassembled the laptop as you said, but when I got to the battery I could not find the triangles like you said. Plus even if I did, I was skittish about bridging any gap because I have seen my share of bridging attempts that ended up frying said component. Instead I just disconnected the battery and let it sit for five minutes. Plugged it back in and followed your instructions and everything is working fine. Thanks again. I am in a warzone working in a tent by flashlight and you made my day........err night.........kudos
HP Recommended

Hi guys,

I am too  having the same problem with my HP dv%5 1213em model laptop.

Recently I gave my laptop to a HP authorised service center (Bangalore, India).

They are saying that the motherboard has some issue that need to be fixed and they are askin for nearly about 8500/- Rupees for this.

This is a big amount to pay. If this problem can be solved just by following this thread here, then I would like to give it a try by myself instead giving it to them and pay huge amount of money.

So can anyone please suggest me what shopuld  I do about it.

Thnks.

HP Recommended

Do nothing. Just wait for it to start up in about 20 to 30 minutes.  I know it is stupid, but what can you do with HP?

HP Recommended

Regarding the hanging problem when attempting to recover your computer with Recovery CD's:

Unbelievably, the answer is just wait. When you see ESC ... Pause Startup and nothing happens, just wait. After a few minutes the Windows logo appears. Again, wait a few minutes more and the Recovery process begins!

All that stuff about removing hard drives and memory sticks, I don't think it's necessary. It just takes time for some reason. Some of these laptops are really "budget" quality. :Surprise:

The only other thing that is necessary is to make sure that booting from your CD/DVD drive is Enabled in your BIOS Boot order. On most HP Laptops, hit F10 repeatedly when booting up your computer to get into the BIOS settings. Or consult your model's instructions.

Same issue when inserting the second and third DVD's. Do not click Next, just wait a few minutes for it to show the progress bar and instructions on screen. They will eventually appear.

Good luck, and next time, buy a better brand of laptop. Dell? Asus? 

HP Recommended

I had the same problem.

After going through the threads, I just removed the RAMs and reinstalled in their slots (You might try swapping them too). And this worked. My laptop started working as usual and I didnot lost any data.

Thanks for the inputs.

Gowtham

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.