Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
hp dm,g,probook,elitebook,omen
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Here the solution: for any HP notebook.

RUN PSOFF.exe

see below:

DM1-4125sa - Battery plugged in, not charging[ Edited ]

I have a DM1-4125sa laptop running windows 7 64bit.  I’ve had this notebook approximately 14 months. About 1.5 months ago it started saying, "plugged in, not charging." Googling & reading these and other forums showed that it could be a problem with the the power adapter or the battery so I bought a new one of each. The problem persists. 

There are currently ONLY two ways that do work to achieve charging.

First

1. Switch off the laptop
  2. Unplug the AC adapter
  3. Remove the battery
  4. With the battery removed, plug in the AC adapter
  5. Connect the battery
  6. Do not switch on the computer

If I follow these steps, at point 5, the white AC light next to the plug will turn orange and the battery will charge until 100% assuming the laptop remains off. However, if I switch on the computer as this charging is going on, the orange light will turn to a white light as soon as the boot screen (not the windows screen) comes up.

Second

1. Download HP Power Manager Utility Software
  2. Install HP Power Manager Utility Software this extracts some files to c:\SWsetup
  3. Run PSOFF.exe found inside c:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Power Manager\PSOFF.exe (not HP Power Manager.exe)
  4. REMEMBER: right mouse click-run as administrator!(if you have more than 1 account, or somehow it doesnt worked)

As soon as install is complete, the white AC light turns orange and the "plugged in, not charging" turns to "plugged in, charging". At this point, I can unplug the charging cable and plug it in again as many times as I like and charging resumes as it should. I can also restart the computer by using the windows restart option. I can also shut down the computer and it will continue to charge the batter. HOWEVER, as soon switch it back on using the ON button, (even if done immediately after shutdown), the orange charging light will turn white on the boot screen and remain that way. At this point, the only way to get charging going again is to use one of the two methods I have described here.

Once charged, the laptop works perfectly well on battery alone and on AC alone. It also works when the two are connected at the same time.

Things I’ve already tried, which have not solved the problem:

New battery

Bought a new one, the problem persists.

New AC adaptor

Bought a new one, the problem persists.

Power drain
1. Disconnect the AC Adapter.
2. Remove the Battery.
3. Hold the Power button down for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
4. Replace the battery and Reconnect the AC adapter.
5. Turn on the Notebook power. 

Downgrade/Update bios

I have tried F.16, F.17. and F.19. The problem persists. I have even rolled back to F.10 to no avail.

Install and uninstall HP Power Manager Utility

As described above, installing the utility fixes the problem, uninstalling it stops charging.

Format the computer and fresh install windows 7 from the recovery partition

I have done this 3 times (literally), and the problem has remained from the very beginning, even before any windows or HP updates.

Perform a battery test

I have performed this with both batteries. The results are the same. If the battery test is performed when the laptop is running ONLY on battery, the test returns "Primary - OK (1)". If I plug in the AC adapter and run the test again without restarting the systems, the test returns "Primary - OK (0)".

Cleaning internals

I have used compressed gas/air duster to clean inside the computer

Uninstalling Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery & Microsoft AC Adapter

Using the method suggested by several HP representatives on this forum and on other sites.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.