cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
SonyaAnn
5 3 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Plugged in not charging

HP Recommended
HP Pavilion M1Y36UAR#ABA

Just noticed that my 2.5 month battery is not charging. Noticed that while plugged in battery was at 95% I have never turned on the battery saver option I did however see a notification about it a couple days in windows notifications.

I have uninstalled the battery in device manager and rebooted, now my battery is at 92% (while plugged in - not charging) I just ran the battery test which tells me that my battery needs calibrated. Directions to calibrate say plug in fully charge 99-100% leave plugged in for 2.5 hours.

How am I supposed to do this when it's "not charging" for some reason? Oh, when the battery test runs, "plugged in not charging" status changes to charging, but as soon as it finishes back to not charging.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
MKazi
Retired
Retired
12,746 12,732 829 1,528
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@SonyaAnn

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. I came across your post and would like to help. 

I understand that you have an HP Pavilion Notebook - 17-g099nr and the battery does not charge properly. I read that there is a message stating "plugged in and not charging". You have uninstalled the battery drivers from the device manager and restarted the laptop and the battery charge it at 92% with the message plugged in and not charging. The battery test indicated towards calibrating the battery. You've done a remarkable job performing the steps. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

To provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

• Is this the original battery that came with the laptop or did you install it separately?
  • Does the laptop remain powered on using the battery power when the charger is disconnected?

Meanwhile, I did some research and found that the maximum capacity of a battery changes over time. Because of this change in battery capacity, the charge level indicator in Windows might not show 100% charged. I suggest you to perform the following steps to isolate and fix the issue:

• Power off the laptop.
  • Remove the battery out.
  • Disconnected AC adapter from the laptop.
  • Press and hold the power button for 15 seconds.
  • Reconnect the battery and plug the AC adapter.
  • Power ON the laptop.

I recommend you to perform the steps mentioned under "Testing and Calibrating the battery using HP System Diagnostics UEFI in Windows 8 (preferred method)" from this link

NOTE of the battery does not charge to full 100% then please continue with the maximum charge it is left with.

Post a successful calibration if the issue persists then you may update the BIOS on the laptop via this link. Please ensure that the charger is connected during the BIOS update.

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Let me know how it goes. Good luck! 🙂

0 Kudos
SonyaAnn
Author
5 3 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I figured it out, I ran the battery test over and over again until it was charged to 100% then rebooted ran the calibration. Let it sit all day and when I logged back into windows the same exact issue started - the battery started draining again (while plugged in) I started running the battery test over and over again to get it back to fully charged, rebooted the pc and followed the instructions for manual calibration.

Instead of harddrive test as stated in the intructions for manul calibration, I ran the full system tests on hardware until the laptop shut off. Plugged it back in and all seems normal after several hours of use (knock on wood).

0 Kudos
MKazi
Retired
Retired
12,746 12,732 829 1,528
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@SonyaAnn

I'm glad to know that the battery is working fine and hope it stays that way. I must say that technical solutions can only be provided. But it was you who implemented them to perfection. 

Cheers! 🙂

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation