Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a HP ProBook 6570b with W7.

I recently d/l Macrium Reflect to do backups. Apparently, I can create a Rescue Media. I would like to create one with a flashdrive. When I do that, I would like to just test it.

Is there a way to boot from a flashdrive? If I have to change the boot ORDER, how do I do it? I tried hitting the escape key on boot-up, but I am confused as to where to find the boot order and how to adjust it. Also, if I could avoid doing that and just boot one time to test the flash drive, that would also be great.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

When you tap the ESC key at the beginning of the HP welcome screen, you should get a menu option.

There should be an F9 boot menu option where you can hit the F9 key and then select the USB boot option.

If your notebook came with W8, you will need to go into the BIOS and enable legacy mode.

HP Recommended

Paul:

I tried that, But my choices are:

Notebook Upgrade Bay

Notebook Hard Drive

Notebook Ethernet

Those are my only choices.

I can also get into a different menu and select System Configuration and Scroll down to Legacy Boot Order.

But my choices are:

The three listed above and:

USB Floppy

USB CD ROM

USB Hard Drive

SD Card

Dock Upgrade Bay

eSata Drive

Would USB Hard Drive count as a flash drive?

I would prefer not to change the order and just boot once. Ideas?

Mel

HP Recommended

Hi:

My guess also would be to select the USB Hard Drive option.

HP Recommended

After many different combinations, I tried ESC > F10 > right arrow to System Configuration and selected Boot Options. Then I down arrowed to the bottom where it showed "Legacy Boot Order". I put the "SD Card" in front  of the "Notebook Hard Drive " by selecting the "SD Card" and using the "+/-" keys to move it. Then, I was successful in booting from my micro SD card in a SD adapter plugged into the front of the laptop.

HP Recommended

@jgermann wrote:

After many different combinations, I tried ESC > F10 > right arrow to System Configuration and selected Boot Options. Then I down arrowed to the bottom where it showed "Legacy Boot Order". I put the "SD Card" in front  of the "Notebook Hard Drive " by selecting the "SD Card" and using the "+/-" keys to move it. Then, I was successful in booting from my micro SD card in a SD adapter plugged into the front of the laptop.

Legendary lateral thinking mate! You saved my bacon. Thank you! 🙂

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.