Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
ENVY x360 15-w050sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I bought my laptop last year and it came with these stats:

Operating System Windows 8.1 64
Processor Intel® Core™ i5-5200U with Intel HD Graphics 5500 (2.2 GHz, 3 MB cache, 2 cores)
Processor family: Intel® Core™ i5 processor
Memory 8 GB DDR3L-1600 SDRAM (1 x 8 GB)
Storage 1 TB 5400 rpm SATA

I upgraded to Windows 10 straight away. Now I realised the only thing holding my system back was the HDD. Last week I bought the Samsung 850 EVO 250GB. It's great but I have one problem. Before replacing the hard drive with the SSD, in device manager it came up "IDE ATA/ATAPI> Standard SATA AHCI Controller". Now after doing a clean install of windows 10, it comes up IDE ATA/ATAPI> Intel(R) 9 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller. When I open the magician software it comes up in red writing "AHCI Mode Deactivated (IDE OR RAID)" and it also says "SATA Interface N/A" beside it. (See attachment). My problem now is I have no idea how to enable AHCI mode and there is no option to do it in the BIOS. How do I stop this problem from coming up in Magician? I can find no option anywhere to enable AHCI mode. Also can someone explain the difference in the two different things under IDE ATA/ATAPI in Device Manager? Thanks in advance!Screenshot.png

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @daraghwal,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! 

I see you need to enable AHCI mode on a new install of SSD on the HP ENVY, Maybe this will help you out. It is a third party site but have great information in it.

Let me know what happens.

If you wish to say Thanks for my effort to help, click the Thumbs up to give me a Kudos.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thanks but I have no option to enable AHCI in the BIOS!

HP Recommended

Thanks but I have no option to enable AHCI in the BIOS!

HP Recommended

Hi @daraghwal,

I would try following this.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Still nothing! No option in the BIOS. I have enclosed screenshots of my BIOS. Is it possible that AHCI is enabled but the Samsung Magician Software just can't recognise it? Apologies for the cropping but the files were too big.IMG_0398.JPGIMG_0399.JPGIMG_0400.JPGIMG_0395.JPGIMG_0397.JPG

HP Recommended

I'm going to double-up on this thread. The BIOS in my Envy 15 (E1P05AV) has no option for enabling AHCI either. This is preventing me from getting full use of my EVO 850 drive as well.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.