Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I want to enable Virtualization on my new HP Spectre x360 in order to use Virtualbox. Virtualbox currently gives me the following error: "VT-x is disbaled in BIOS." Easy enough. I went into BIOS and enabled Virtualization but upon reste\art the computer would not boot. I got the following error: "Boot Device not found: Install an OS on your HD." No other settings were changed in the BIOS. So I went back into BIOS, restored the default settings and now the computer starts normally and everything is fine, except of course that Virtualization is still disabled. I repeated the process and the same exact issue occured again. Anyone know if there is a trick to enable virtualization on this or what the problem may be?

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Have you updated BIOS to latest from your HP support page?

Someone from HP will help you further.

HP Recommended

Based on your suggestion, I just tried to update to the latest, F.12 Rev.A, and I received an message saying:  "This BIOS update is blocked on this device"

HP Recommended

I've asked moderators to look into your issue and get help from someone from HP into this.

In the mean time, could you provide is with the exact model name, product number, installed operating system.

Do not post any serial numbers.

HP Recommended

Thanks. 

It's the HP Spectre x360 - 13-4003dx running Windows 8.1

HP Recommended

@blinkerpaper

‎Thank you for using HP Support Forum. I have brought your issue to the appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post ( serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with the Forum's private messaging please click here to learn more.

Thank you,
Omar

I Work for HP
HP Recommended

I'm sure you found the answer by now, but in case you haven't you have to change the UEFI settings. To do this, swipe from the right side and select settings. Hold shift, press power, and restart. Continue to hold shift. You will come to a screen to change UEFI settings, click there and look for Virtualization, it is disabled by default. I just enabled it on an HP Spectre x360 to install Ubuntu on VMware Workstation.

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem. I tried holding the shift key and restarting like was said in the post after yours, but all that got me was locked out of my computer and had to restart normally.

I am having problems with everything on my computer freezing. Everything from Microsoft office products to internet explorer. Some days I spend more time waiting for things to respond than I do working. Updating the BIOS was one of the things that was listed to fix this, but I am not able to figure out how to do so. It says that it is not enabled on my machine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

HP Recommended

I'm running into the same problem. "The BIOS update is blocked on this device". Anyone able to get around this?

HP Recommended

Hello 

I have the similar problem, I was able to set up the virtualization option but my vm crashed when ever I start something on the guest OS.

Also I tried for the dual boot , it works but I can't change the screen resolution , can you please let me know the driver that I need to install . I am using xp spectre 360 my processor is 5th generation Intel Core™ i5-6200U

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.