Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Nla4884 Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Problem restoring laptop to factory settings

Compaq Presario CQ62
Morning

I own an old Compaq Presario CQ62 laptop that I want to get rid of so therefore am trying to restore it to factory settings.

However when I open Recovery Manager to restore the laptop to factory settings it doesn't let me. An error message flashes up for a split second and it stays stuck on the same option menu.

Please can someone tell me how I can get past this step so that I can erase my personal data off of the laptop.

Many thanks
0 Kudos
1 REPLY
Dean
Dean
11043 574 1601
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Problem restoring laptop to factory settings

> how can I erase my personal data off of the laptop?

Remove the disk-drive from the laptop, and connect it as a "slave" disk-drive on some other computer.

Use the FORMAT command, without the "quick-format" option, to write "zero" bits all over the disk-drive.

Or, since the disk-drive is quite old, remove it, and take a sledge-hammer to it, to damage it, such that it will never "spin" again.

Or, since the disk-drive is quite old, remove it, and totally disassemble it.

You'll find two very-strong magnets inside -- lots of fun for children to play with.

The shiny recording-surface platters can be hung in your fruit tree -- to distract any birds (or deer) that want to treat your trees & garden as a "open salad bar".

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation