Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Thanks Brian and everyone for the time and effort put into this. HP should hire you!!!   lol  

I've posted about my problem on this in several areas and just found this one. This seems like Electronics 101 stuff to me and boggles my mind why HP can't figure this out. I've called them for a third time and a case manager is suppose to contact me back in 48 hours. The rep on the phone actually forced the conversation to end by cutting me off by giving the website and phone number to call then hung up. Guess he got sick of my complaining!  lol!! 

My concern is what else could go wrong on this thing in the future if they didn't catch a static issue. This may reveal my lack of electronic knowledge but can't static harm other components in this? I'm hoping that when/if they call back that I'll get a refund so I can switch to a different manufacturer. I really do like this unit and don't want to have to shop around yet again but I'm so ready to off this thing.

HP Recommended

Hi Jellowood.

Static electricity is everywhere and it's not that the laptop is going to get harmed by it, but rather the buttons need to be better shielded from it.

Granted if you took apart the machine apart and exposed the motherboard to it, you would certainly damage it. The processor contains millions of microscopic transistors that run on very tiny voltages and a static discharge would fry things like this in an instant. It would be like you getting stuck by lightening.

Having taken a number of HP laptop's apart, HP has done a good job in directing static around and away from critical area's. Like your touch pad though the button board is activated by static electricity and is effected by it. When it's touched a minute amount of static is produced between your finger tip and the button board, so anything beyond that creates miss-fires. These miss fires can be caused from a static build up from typing with in the key-board and this can cause miss fires. The pictures show that the button board cable runs directly under the key-board and near the connection and it just need better shielding to redirect the static away from these critical area's.

I am on the B.C. coast here in Canada and I have only experienced the bass and treble problem only ounce, this is so because the climate is quite damp and there is not a lot of static around, even in the summer, I would think a place like Arizona would have a very bad effect on the HDX and dv8.

As far as the quality is concerned, very little of the machine is HP, most of it is manufactured by other companies, so one laptop is no better or worse then the other, as most computers share the same make where components are concerned.

HP Recommended

HP is not very concerned with products that they have discontinued or are going to discontinue shortly. If it was possible to solve with a firmware fix they may have released something but since it is a design issue, they will not invest in a solution. Easier to keep denying it until warranties run out.

The people on the phone just follow a script so they have very little diagnostic skills.

There are so many possible ways that this issue got into production but it is likely that the original LIF connector was fully molded from plastic instead of having a stamped metal casing with exposed sides. This connector is soldered to the LED board in a mass assembly line with a huge amount of money spent on tooling. Some parts are not designed well for automation and that could be why the chosen connector was used.

It could also be a combination of inadequate or defective shielding material. Whatever the cause, the static is able to arc to the exposed LIF connector and cause the touch buttons to actuate.

Once the board is shielded and the metal connector is covered with an insulator, the problem will go away.

HP Recommended

Brian-

HP already had me mail in my laptop once for a fix.  It lasted two months and back to the old problem again.

Thanks for the information and the fix.  I just received my Kapton and aluminium foil tape in the mail today.  I just completed my fix and have my fingers crossed that it will work.  HP owes you.  You could make all of these PC companies look stupid and build the "Brian" brand laptop.

HP swore up and down no one else is having this issue.  What a joke of a tech support department.  I am going to contact my case manager that last talked to me to show her this thread.  I did get a free two year in home warranty (started after I got my laptop back from repair) out of it after they mailed me $180 back for my mail in warranty that I purchased.  You guys should complain too and get some free warranty for other problems that may go wrong.

Mark

HP Recommended

Have you thought about suing them?

HP Recommended

I have the Pavilion dv8 with a random problem where the Wi-Fi light appears blue on its own. I am running DSL cable and do not want to use my Wi-Fi card. I can tap the Wi-Fi light and it will go to orange, but always comes back to blue.  I contacted HP support and had Mohammed J. and he suggested a bios update using Version: F.32 A, after giving him my system info., which would fix my issue. When I tried to apply the update to the BIOS, the computer automatically runs the “InsydeFlash” program, but my system tells me “IHISI does not support current BIOS!” What is“IHISI?" Anyway, that did not solve anything. Unfortunately, my warrenty has run out since then. I don't see this addressed from the HP web site, which I am not surprised, but do see simalar issues dated back to 2007. I will not buy another HP computer, especially for the $2000+ price I paid for this one just over a year ago! I wish I could figure out how to SUE THE BASTARDS!!!

HP Recommended

I wish HP would read my fix. They could start fixing the problem instead of making people run in circles wasting there time. They will never admit fault unless a lawsuit is brought against them.

If this was a new product line they would have addressed it, but they don't want to spend money taking care of existing customers.....

HP, Never again....

HP Recommended

roadtrip04, If you need it, I posted the only true fix for this problem. It is a page or so back in this thread. There is also some great pics and info from Haggiscat. Good luck.

HP Recommended

Thank you for taking the time to post on this forum. I was stuck and pissed off at this computer since I had that slider bar issue. I followed your steps and everything worked out great. (for now at least) Once again. THANK YOU!

HP Recommended

No problem, I am glad I could help. The only other challenge is getting the tone control driver installed correctly so you can actually use it again. That should hopefully be the last of your touch button problems.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.