Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

OK. I too had the problem with my DV8's slider bar. I was pretty sure it was a windows update problem. Not the regular updates, but the advanced optional ones. Because when I did those it really acted up. But then, even without doing the updates, putting my computer away, and the taking it out of the case and putting it in my notebook stand, turning it on I would get the faint red lights on the mute and wi-fi buttons. To fix that I would have to rub/push the speaker cover and slider bar area until the lights turned to bright red for the mute button and blue for the wi-fi. Then, I would have to shut the computer off, not restart. And then start the computer back up to get it to work right.

So I decided to do the Fix with the two types of tape. Bought them on Amazon. Got them and took the laptop apart with the help of the videos from HP. Applied the tape. The hardest part was taking the speaker cover off. Put it back together and so far so good. I really think this is going to work. It's only been a day, but if it starts acting up again, I'll post and let you know.

Thanks for this fix! I think it's going to actually work. I really like this computer and the slider bar problem was really annoying.

HP Recommended

I hope it works out for and it should if it has been done properly.

Yes I found the speaker cover the most difficult to get off. If you know where the snaps are underneath it helps so one can twist and tweak it in the right direction  to release it.

Catch 22 is that if you have never taken one apart before, it can be tricky.

HP Recommended

Hey haggis, I tried going to the services media library and the video wont load to remove the speaker cover, is that the only removal I need to do to disconnect the panel, I'm just going to go through with that, I cant live with this problem anymore... I just spent an hour on the phone with a case manager and he said he "wasn't aware" of the issue.  I really hope HP goes down the drain, this company is a disgrace.  This is my 2nd hp and last, my other was the dv9000 that had the horrendous graphics overheating issue... I was thinking about framing mine and putting it on my wall to remind myself to never be as **bleep**ty as HP. :OpenSmile: But back to the issue, to disconnect the whole bar, is it just removing the speaker cover or is there more to it? Thnx!

HP Recommended

Here is a direct link to the dv8.

http://h20574.www2.hp.com/results.htm?SID=4011373&MEID=2A9B17CB-4DD3-46D8-A744-318897D3C275

You may have to sign in again, it does take a while to load, there will be a blank white page for about 30 seconds.( you need to use IE8)

Remove the Speaker Cover, Keyboard Cover and Keyboard to apply Brian's fix. ( The Keyboard cover is the black bezel that surrounds the Keyboard)

Here are my pictures, if you haven't found them already.(the button board cable needs to be totally wrapped in the foil tape, my pictures don't show that) Brian uses his copper foil.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Lockups-Freezes-Hangs/Problem-with-Pavilion-dv8-top-slider-bar...

HP Recommended

awesome, I think im just going to disconnect the cable, I don't really use the buttons much other then the mute, but since I mainly use this computer for audio production, I usually have a external soundcard connected.  Thnx for the reply  

HP Recommended

also, forgot to mention the videos saying "opening media" in the windows media player, then just goes back to "ready"

HP Recommended

I just read that someone was having a problem watching the video on how to remove the speaker cover. It wouldn't play for me either. Just copy the link and try it in IE. I was using Firefox and had the same problem.

HP Recommended

As I posted earlier, I too was having problems with the slider bar every now and then. Lately more so. Earlier I had the problem after doing a Microsoft Update on some of the optional stuff. Like the wi-fi drivers, etc. Than when I started the computer up the next day all the lights went crazy. So I was pretty sure it was an incompatible update problem. I have backups of the computer with Norton Ghost so I just put it back to prior the updates and all was fine. It would act up every now and then, but not much. But lately it was right back at it. Take it out of it's case, start it up and I could tell I was gonna have problems by the color of the mute and wi-fi buttons. Rubbed and pushed on the speaker cover and the slider bar area until the lights lit up normal, shut the computer completely off and then restarted it and all was fine. So now I think it's a flexing problem. The slider bar isn't making good contact with the factory installed grounding tape. So I bought both types of tape from Amazon, took less than a week to get. Watched the videos and looked at the pics posted, crossed my fingers and did it. Like I said earlier, the hardest part was getting the speaker cover off. Applying the tape was easy and putting the compter back together a breeze. There were 3 types of screws and I was careful to keep them seperated and know where they went. The computer has been working great for about a week now without any problems. I'm not sliding in and out of my wi-fi connection, the mute button isn't going red on it's own and no sign of the volume and treble boxes showing up on my screen.

I read alot of posts on products I own when I start having a problem so I can fix it myself. I have an Audi, all Sony electronics and 3 HP computers. Whenever people have problems the always say the same thing on all the posts, "The company sucks and I'll never buy one again!" But usually the fixes are pretty easy and the products are pretty good. You just have to wait for someone smarter to figure it out and hope they leave good instructions on how to do it.

I would not take this computer apart just to pull a plug out when the fix is so easy. And you're gonna take it apart anyway.

I've had this computer (DV8) over a year love it. The two problems I've had were the video driver problem which I learned how to fix on a post and now the slider bar problem. Also fixed. Like everyone I wish HP would have been the one to offer the fixes, but oh well. Now I think I'm going to have problems with the DigitalPersona finger print reader. I've read on posts that the company is no longer doing updates and it's currently not compatible with Firefox 4, Chrome, nor IE9. I'll just have to wait and see what happens and maybe read about it here.

HP Recommended

thnx 4 the info, here is the pdf If anyone is interested and or video will not work http://tim.id.au/laptops/hp/hp%20pavilion%20dv8.pdf

HP Recommended

Don't know why the video won't work, but I do know that Internet Explorer has to be used, you may have to sign in again and you have to have the latest Adobe flash Player.

As for the service manual _ when it gets to the key-board cover (the hot key strip itself) the manual is wrong, it has to be removed starting at the part nearest the screen. Push on the edge and lift at the same time and work you way around the sides and to the front using this push and pry method with your finger tips. It takes a firm push and pull to release the snaps, but it does not have to be forced, don't be afraid to flex the plastic a bit, it is surprisingly tough.

I have taken apart older HDX machines where the plastic has become a little brittle and I have not broken one of these yet. On the HDX laptop's, the hot-key bezel is chrome, not black. If you do happen to get the video to run it actually shows them working on and HDX18, the two are extremely similar until it gets to the bottom case and system-board and then you can clearly see that it's a dv8, but you certainly will not need to remove the MoBo.

Ounce it's loose it's then lifted from the front (part nearest the touch pad) to hinge up towards the screen as to not pull on its cable.

After it's hinged out of the way, the four screws that hold the key-board in place will become accessible. Remember that at this point there are still 3 screws underneath that have to be removed for the removal of the key-board.

The removal of these 3 key-board screws can be done when the screws are removed for the speaker cover (or switch cover).

These 3 screws have a small "key-board" symbol beside them.

When it comes time to lift the key-board out of the way to gain access to the hot-key bezel cable, you don't actually have to remove the ribbon cable from the zif connector on the system board.

The keyboard can be flipped carefully upside down in place (the key-board cable will flex enough with out any damage)

If you want, the the ribbon cable for the key-board can be removed, the zif connector locking hinge has to be carefully lifted up with your finger tips to release the ribbon cable (do not attempt just to pull on the cable, you will damage the zif connecter as well as the cable. If the zif connector on the mother-board becomes damaged, the board will have to be replaced.

There are no spare zif connectors available as a separate part.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.