Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Update, my computer is still working properly after having sent it back for repair.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed, however.  I'm not sure if there was a particular lot of these electrostatic strips that were defective or another part, but it's clear that software was not the issue. 

Since they changed out the system board, the RAM and the keyboard/strip, I'm not sure which one ended up fixing the problem.  For those that are out of warranty, I would suggest ordering a replacement keyboard first, since that's probably the least expensive part. 

The challenge is finding the correct parts.  I know that sparepartswarehouse.com has a good selection, although their website is fairly challenging to navigate (particularly if your wireless internet is freaking out all the time).

HP Recommended

OK, so I had the same problem everyone else seemed to be having with the trebel bass and wifi buttons activating on their own.

I called HP (india) just like everyone else and updated the bios, hptonecontrol, hpquicklaunch driver etc.

Nothing worked.

So I called back and demanded to speak to a tech in America, and they told me to do a full system recovery, I refused and told them I did not want to have to re-enstall all my software and I wanted a technition to come to my house and fix it, and I was willing to purchase the extended 2 year in home warranty. They went and checked to see if it was covered for this problem and it was not.

So they said I had to send in my computer to have the mother board replaced or something major like that. I told them I could not do it right now and since I only had 50 day of warranty left, I purchased an additional year so it gave me pleanty of time to send in the computer later.

After I hung up the phone the problem magically stopped. I started thinking that this was some sort of conspiracy to get people to buy an extended warranty.

a week goes by with no problems. Then I picked up my computer to bring it in the other room and just as I lifted it off the laptop table cushion I have it on the wifi button went orange. I put the computer back down and it turned blue again. I repeated the lifting motion over and over examining the entire computer each time and noticed that the entire body of the computer was flexing and that flex was moving the entire keyboard close to the quick launch button pannel.

So it appears the laptop table I have is to small for the footprint of this massive computer and over time the front right foot which was on the raised rim of the laptop table was flexing the entire keyboard closer to the quick launch buttons. I recenter the laptop so there is even pressure on all 4 rubber feet and the problem with the random launching of the quick launch buttons stops.

Hope that helps others out there.

I ordered a over size laptop chiller pad to help fix this problem, Ill let everyone know if the one I order works.

HP Recommended

Hello,

I'am also having the same problems with the quick launch buttons on my Pavalion dv8

I already sent it 3 times for reparation without any luck after a moth the same problems occur. I really think there is a design problem and want to collect as many e-mails as possible too show HP that there really is a serious problem and that a simple reparation won't solve the problem.

It's not only a problem on the DV but also on the HDX because an friend got the same problem.

Let this be clear I don't hate HP I really don't want my money back I only want to keep my laptop but it's not in a good workable condition now I only hope to get alot of mails from people facing the same problems so we can move HP to find a good definitive solution 

Please sent a e-mail too [text removed for privacy]

describe the problem, type of laptop and for how long you have the laptop

Also look on my site:

www.everyoneweb.com/hpprobleem

It's in dutch so maybe there is someone with a good translation for me? and maybe some tips?

HP Recommended

Hi all,

I was having the same problem and I am convinced that the problem occurs when the machine starts running hot.  This somehow starts triggering the keys and making it think you are pressing the buttons.  After trying everything on all the posts and even calling HP (Waste of 2 hours)  I decided forget a fix I need a work around.  I followed the directions in the Maintenance & Service Guide for removing the Switch Cover and then the Keyboard Cover.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01910942.pdf

page 4-21 till 4-24

It was six screws and only took 5 minutes.  As someone mentioned I went from top down in removing the keyboard cover and not from bottom up as is instructed in the manual,  It was just easier.  Once the cover is removed there is a ribbon cable running from the keyboard to button unit on the underside of the keyboard cover, just give it a tug to remove it from the slot in the keyboard cover and all your problems will go away. (well maybe not all).  No more phantom key touches although you will now have to control all those functions straight from the OS but who really uses the buttons anyway.

No more HP computers for me and I am in charge of IT purchasing for my company.  The thing that upsets me the most is HP's response. 

HP Recommended

They removed the e-mail from my previous reply but you can find it at the website.

At this moment for the second time my wireless adapter isn't working it is on but can't find any wireless networks.

Sad but true this time I will give my laptop back to the reseller and want my money back can't figure out what I want to buy now but it's not gonna be a HP!

I'am sure I can sent it a million times for reparation but the problem will not be solved.

Really looks like the heat is a serious problem for this and other HP laptops but I think for the dv8 the most because of the Intel Core I7 processor that really produces alot of heat.

At first it's started when the laptops heats up but at the latest point of breakdown it also started too happen when I just started the laptop

Please keep e-mailing me whit your'e problems and maybe whe can force HP to come with a permanent solution

HP Recommended

Hi

If I am affected by this bass/treble issue I kill

HPToneCTL.exe

in the task manager and then it's fine. This is definitely *not* a solution but a work-around 😞

Hope this can help somebody

HP Recommended

My only work-around for my wifi going on/off/on was to disable my wifi entirely. I tried all the proposed solutions short of sending it back to HP for repair (at my cost since I am a few months past warranty. So what do I have left? A laptop that has to be fixed to an internet cable and is virtually a desktop!!!!! I wil never, ever, buy another HP product again of any type.

HP Recommended

Additional update...after receiving computer back from warranty repair, problem started again.  Sent computer in again, but there were no notations of replaced or repaired parts.  Problem has remained dormant for now, but fully expect to see it again.  These things are just garbage, bottom line.

HP Recommended

I tried the procedure to disconnect the keyboard buttons, but I could not remove the keyboard cover on page 4-23.  The cover is secured by plastic tabe all tucked under the plastic plate where I rest my hands while I am typing.  I used a tiny screwdriver, but no luck - it only scratched the plactic cover. I read-read the disassembly instructions to make sure I did not forget soemthing, but I did not see a way to remove the plastic cover holdign the keyboard cover down.  I stopped because I was afraid of damaging my keyboard cover or the laptop case.

I have taken steps to disable my bluetooth and wireless devices through Windows, but this is only because I can use ethernet at my desk.  If I re-enable my wireless device, it shuts off about every hour because the wireless button on the keyboard shuts it off at random. 

Was anyone able to remove the keyboard cover?  I really think this would be a workable solution.

HP Recommended

I was able to remove the cover.  You are right though.  It is nerve racking because it does not remove as easily as the instructions.  I used a butter knife and was just very careful.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.