Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Anyone have a pic of the computer when opened up so that a novice like me could see what I actually need to disconnect?

HP Recommended

Okay, after months of fighting with this thing, I've discovered the problem on my computer.  NOT a hardware issue.  My computer shipped with a fingerprint reader and the program installed to manage that hardware is called HP Digital Persona.  When I ran a recent update on the DP software, my wireless and everything went crazy.  When I deleted HP Digital Persona off of my computer, the problem disappeared.  If you're not endeared to swiping your finger to insert passwords, this may be the solution.

HP Recommended

This worked so far for me too.

Use Control Panel > uninstall a Program > Digital Persona Personal.

After that my Wireless has stayed on for days with no interruptions.

I never used the fingerprint reader anyway - its actually easier to type my password than wait for that finger swipe to finish.

Thanks for the solution, I've been waiting 12 months for a good fix, I even tried to take my keyboard apart, but stopped when I almost broke the plastic in that procedure.

HP Recommended

problem solved with bass and treble  and quick button wi-fi

[text removed for privacy]

HP Recommended

Ditto here - has calmed the computer down a lot.  Did have the wireless drop off a couple times, but a very small fraction of the problems I had over the past year with this computer.  Agree it is highly probably it is a software problem, as you never see the slider bar graphics pop up when the computer is booting, in screen saver mode, or other.  Although that is just an observation not based on any legitimate testing.

very frustrating as I spent a lot of money on this computer

HP Recommended

My problem is back.  Wireless cuts out every few hours.  Removing Digital Persona seemed to help for a while, but now it seems just as bad as before.

HP Recommended

Hello

MY SOLUTION:

I went to msconfig. 'Start up' tab. Disabled 'HP Wireless Assistant'. Saved. Rebooted. Problem solved!

In my opinion, The HP wireless assisant was conflicting with something else (treble/bass software?) Software issue!! Not Hardware issue! Try this before you dismantle your computer!!

Please note that I did not disable the 'HP Tone Control' and this function still works. My wireless on/off button still works too!!

Also I believe that the HP wireless assistant is unnecessary and redundant anyway as windows has a built in wireless manager. And, Bluetooth feature can still be turned off and on through my bluetooth tray icon. And, system should run faster with one less process running. This seems to be the perfect simplest fix! Hope it works for you all!!

Robert

HP Recommended

I already had the 'HP Wireless Assistant' disabled.  That did not work for me.  Wireless still cuts out every few hours.

HP Recommended

I finally gave up after attempting every solution in here and sent my laptop back to HP.  I have had it back since the end of October 2010 and have not had any issues with the machine, and I have re-activated the Tone Control and HP Wireless Assistant.  I did speak to HP some time later when they called for a "Quality Review" and brought to their attention all of the issues that are in this post.  I also questioned them about whether or not this problem is "really" resolved.  The agent said she would look into it and call me back.  She did call the next day and said that an issue was found with a select batch of machines and the fix that was completed should permanently resolve the problem.  At this point only time will tell and I will let you know if my problems come back.  Thank you to everyone for your suggestions and research when I was trying to resolve my own problem.

HP Recommended

Got my laptop back from HP and, for now, it work fine.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.