Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 m6 convertible
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hello

I purchased my HP laptop with Windows 10. I have a problem with my file explorer: it closes alone, especially when I'm working with concurrent windows.

I consulted Microsoft support but it failed to resolve and recommended that I contact the manufacturer.

Could you please help me?

Thank you!

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@Juliane82

A very warm welcome to the HP community. A very good day to you. 

I understand that you have an HP ENVY x360 m6 convertible laptop with Win10. I read that the file explorer closes by itself. Not to worry, I'll do my best to help you.

I would like to know the following information to assist you better:

• Did this issue start recently or has been there from the beginning?

I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

1.  Press Windows Logo Key+X. Click on Command Prompt admin

2. Type the following 4 commands at the CMD prompt:

WSReset.exe.

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

powershell

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

1. Close the CMD window.

2. Check to see if the issue is resolved. If not, restart the PC.

Restart the computer and check. Also, check for Windows updates.

If the issue persists then I suggest you to perform Windows Refresh (repair) to fix any corrupted files in the operating system. 

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot MKazi. 

I am with this problem since the beginning - my laptop is very new. 

I will do your suggestions and after I will write to you again with a feedback, ok?

Best!

HP Recommended

@Juliane82

You're welcome. 🙂

Sure, I'll watch for your response. Take care! 

HP Recommended

Dear MKazi,

I tried to do your first suggestion, but I'm not sure I succeeded.

In the Command Prompt admin I put all the commands that you indicated:

WSReset.exe.
Dism / online / cleanup-image / restorehealth

Sfc / scannow

Powershell

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Where-Object {$ _. InstallLocation-like "* SystemApps *"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$ ($ _. InstallLocation) \ AppXManifest.xml"}

I put it all at once; Is it correct or should I have placed one at a time?

At first I did not understand if they had been executed. I rebooted the computer and took a long time - the screen was written for several minutes "Getting Windows Ready". Does this mean that the commands were executed?

I also checked the windows updates and everything is ok.

I can not say now that the problem has been solved, because it does not happen all the time, it depends on my use of windows explorer - especially when working with concurrent windows. I'll follow up from now on.

Please, if you can confirm that I have performed the procedure correctly I thank you!

HP Recommended

Hi @Juliane82,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

Please take your time and get back to me with the results,

I'll be awaiting your response and would be glad to help.

Those steps suggested are supposed to be typed one after the other and on each step hit the enter key and then it would display something and then type the next command.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Okey, Thank you, I will do this. 

A last doubt: one of the last messages talks in four commands, but, in fact there are five...

My doubt: the command below is only one, therefore, must be typed toghether or are they two commands and must be typed separately?

WSReset.exe.
Dism / online / cleanup-image / restorehealth

Thanks a lot

HP Recommended

Hi @Juliane82,

Thank you for replying,

I understand you want to know if these commands need to be typed altogether or it's one by one. Let me go ahead and assist you with this,

Press Windows Logo Key+X. Click on Command Prompt admin

Now type the first command - WSReset.exe and then hit the enter key - Wait for the response 

Now type the second command - dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth and then hit the enter key - Wait for the response

Follow the same with the next two commands.

I hope this answers your question. Let me know if you need any further assistance. I'll be more than happy to help.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Ok, thanks!

But, what must I do with this bellow?

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Where-Object {$ _. InstallLocation-like "* SystemApps *"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$ ($ _. InstallLocation) \ AppXManifest.xml"}

is it a command too?

HP Recommended

Hi @Juliane82,

Thank you for replying,

Answering to your question, yes it is a command. I would suggest you enter this not in the command prompt, I would suggest you enter this command in the Powershell.

In the Run window, type the following in the Open field: Powershell

In the Powershell window, type or copy and paste:  Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Where-Object {$ _. InstallLocation-like "* SystemApps *"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$ ($ _. InstallLocation) \ AppXManifest.xml"}

Now check if the Windows file explorer is working or not.

I hope this answers your question. Let me know if you need any further assistance.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.