Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion G6 2320TX
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hello, everyone. I have an HP G6 2320TX Notebook, which has a stock memory of 4GB. I recently decided to upgrade my memory to 8GB since my laptop supports RAM up to 8GB.

Having some knowledge about memory upgrades, I am aware that if one wants to use multiple RAM sticks, then all of them should ideally be the same model of the same brand. So I looked up online for the RAM which is already installed on my laptop, but couldn't find it anywhere on sale. Not just that, all the laptop RAMs that I did find were DDR3L RAMs, which have a voltage rating of 1.35v as opposed to the 1.5v rating of the RAM which is currently installed on my laptop. Among these was one stick from ADATA which had identical specs to the RAM that I have on my laptop, except for the voltage.

Now, the obvious question is would the DDR3L RAM work alongside a DDR3 RAM. The specs page of my laptop on HP's website has no information regarding its compatibility with DDR3L RAMS, so if anyone else has any knowledge of it, please help me. 

Thank You

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Plenty of knowledge. Don't do it. Don't mix voltages. 

Where do you live (country)? If in US, Canada, EU, we can find you the DDR3-1600 1.5 volt memory needed. Memory is cheap right now so good time to upgrade but it is also harder to figure out compatibility than ever before. 

HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply. 

I live in India, and have already tried looking for the identical model that my laptop has in some e shopping websites, but with no success. I haven't yet checked with my local HP service center. They will most certainly have it, but from what I guess, it's probably going to cost me around 15 to 20 dollars more than what it would cost me if I buy and install it myself. The point is that I am not so willing to spend this quite unnecessary amount, but if there's no other option, I will. 

Anyway, in the meantime, I have read  on many forums that DDR3L is backward compatible with DDR3, meaning that it can run at both its native 1.35v and also at 1.5v. So do you still think that it's inadvisable to mix these two sticks?

HP Recommended

Also, should I provide you with the exact details of my RAM that I pulled up using CPU-Z so that you could, maybe, compare its specs with the other stick and comment on whether or not they will sit comfortably together? 

HP Recommended

Here is the specified memory in the manual:

Memory modules (1066 MHz, DDR3): ● 4 GB PC3 12800 1600 MHz shared 641369-001

Found this on eBay India:

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Transcend-DDR3-4-GB-Laptop-1-5v-Sealed-pack-5-years-warranty-/231848298855?ha...

Still would like to see your specs but the above memory should work. My only hesitation is the high density 4 black blocks per side. That is why I want to see what you have. 

Also this:

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Simmtronics-4GB-DDR3-1600-Mhz-Laptop-Memory-RAM-SO-DIMM-4GB-/152104029616?has...

and this:

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Transcend-DDR3-4-GB-Laptop-DRAM-JM1600KSN-4G-Sealed-pack-5-years-warranty-/23...

And yes, in theory low-voltage memory can also run at 1.5 volts but mixing voltages seems to negate dual channel operation and may even slow the memory down. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.