Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello,

I have had few problems with signal strength and disconnects with this wireless adapter. However, the speed is intolerable.

As others have said it's not anything on our end, only the card itself. I replaced mine with a Realtek card, and my real speed went up five times, which is what I pay my ISP for.

I've been a longtime supporter of HP, never had any issues until this. Since I solved my problem fairly quickly and easily (unless you count the few hours of research I did before just replacing the card), I guess I shouldn't complain. You guys really need to get your act together, and this will effect my future purchasing decisions.

Nikolai Stavrogin

HP Recommended
How do u know wireless adapters that compatible with your laptop ?
HP Recommended

Problem solved replacing my Ralink wifi adapater: I've bought an Intel Centrino Advanced-n 6235 for my HP ENVY DV7-7397el.

Wifi signal is now at maximum strenght, connection faster and no more disconnections.

I'll never buy another HP product!

HP Recommended

I was also replaced my Ralink adapter with atheros wi fi adapter, but now i have problem with overheating on my hp 470 GO laptop . . .

HP Recommended

Greetings from Peru.

I had the same problem. Try disabling BLUETOOTH. It solved the problem.

Also need to update the drives to 5.0.36 at least.

Hugo.

HP Recommended

You are right buddy, Disabeling the Bluetooth will make the wifi connection instantly available.

After trying to find the issue, updating Bios / Drivers and formating the laptop..I've come to the conclusion that it might be the hardware beeing faulty.

I've noticed that the Ralink card is burning hot..way too hot. No wonder why its been giving poor performance and then simply irresponsive.

I've changed the Card with another model...all back to normal. Since the laptop is brand new I'll contact HP to get it replaced.

HP Recommended

Good!

I dont trust in this Ralink card, so I have also replaced the card by a Qualcomm Atheros AR9285. It also includes Bluetooth.

The card cost me about $15.

Saludos,

Hugo.

HP Recommended

Please find this new post I created with possible resolutions to many issues I had with this card, now all solved:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Wireless-Internet-Home-Networking/Ralink-RT3290-802-11bgn-Wifi-Card-Pos...

In bried: If under warranty, most probably a newer RT3290 will solve main issue.

Also if connectivity is dropping time to time, I woiuld recommend to disable "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" under Power managent of the card, see point 2 of this post:

http://www.fixedbyvonnie.com/2013/10/how-to-fix-limited-or-no-connectivity-wi-fi-issues-in-windows-8...

HP Recommended

I have HP 250 G3 with Ralink RT3290 and I have exactly the same issues - dropping connection, variable signal strength 2 meters from router, etc. I guess I'll have to replace the card too :Crying:

HP Recommended
Yes for the proximity issue I would definitely think of a faulty NIC card as was in my case.
Right now is almost a year an replacement of previous same kind of card is working quite well, not best ever but good enough to allow usage of it two rooms away 🙂
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.