Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I was surprised to see this discussion was 7 years old. I just got the Windows 10 creator's update - and got the very same symptoms, hardware IDs etc.  But there is no driver update so I guess the multi-card reader is dead - I guess it's the price of using a laptop bought in 2010. It worked flawlessly until now.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Greetings @pdqpat

Thanks for the post. 

I understand that you are unable to find drivers for your computer. 

Not to worry, I will be glad to help. 

Have you tried using HP Support Assistant?

Recommend you to run HP Support Assistant on your computer, it would automatically check for driver updates and install it on your computer. 

Please click here for assistance. 

Let me know if this helped. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Thanks for trying to help. HP Support Assistant doesn't have "My devices" at the top and no "My PC" box. I looked in Software updates, Health analysis, Troubleshoot and found nothing. The drivers for the card reader on the HP site for my computer are older than my computer!
HP Recommended
Jmicron Card Reader Vista 2009 sp42339.exe THen I opened Device Manager and no error icon! Then I noticed something odd - under " Software devices" there's now an entry with a very odd name "PAT-PC: Pat-Media:" The details under hardware ids include "UMB\Microsoft_Corporation/Windows_Media_Player_Sharing/12.0/urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:MediaServer:1" And it was configured and started at the time I "installed" the Jmicron driver.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, as the drivers are not available on our website and HP Support assistant is not responding. 

You can either wait for Windows to provide a generic driver or roll back to the previous build. Click here for a Microsoft forums post. 

Hope this helped. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I searched the downloads for my laptop and downloaded the Jmicron card reader driver for Vista  then installed it on my laptop.  There was no indication it had installed correctly.I could not find the card reader listed anywhere in the Device Manager, but the 3 items listed under Base System Device are gone, and no errors shown. I can now read and write to  an SD card.  

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply and glad that the issue is resolved. Card reader will not be separately listed in device manager as it part of USB, whenever you insert any memory card you can check under USB in device manager.

Please do post your technical queries on our Forums for assistance. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.