Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Notebook - 17-k251na
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi everyone,

First post here. Sorry if there's a rule I'm unaware of that goes against posting this question.

I backed up my files using HP Recovery utlity. Upon reinstallation, I brought the folder to Desktop from an external source. Firstly, the problem is Recovery Manager failed. Error code = FFFFFF 18. This comes up when I click on the Restore.exe from inside the backup folder which contains a .txt file, a few .DLL files and two folders - namely Language and FBData.

The FBData contains large SWM files. 

I read this post here and the proposed solution but it did not work and I could not view the contents of the SWM files/folders. http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Unable-to-Recover-after-Image-Re...

I am using:

HP ENVY Notebook - 17-k251na

BIOS:F.43-07/29/2016

Best regards,

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi HPeverything,

Have you done backed up files with HP Recovery Tool in Operating System that comes with device or  you have downloaded this utility as external from website?

Thanks,

Click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post if you want to say "Thanks!"
Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel that my post solved your issue.
HP Recommended

Hi Cagin,

No, I did not download any tools myself. Everything was it was from the start.. the utility came with the laptop. Also, bought directly from HP.

Furthermore, I have not installed any third party software since I bought this computer, that could interfere with HP Recovery Manager or any critical component. The computer only had a couple of browsers, Sublime Text and an Apache & DB software. Nothing remotely relative to causing this problem.

Thanks for the reply.

HP Recommended

Hi @HPeverything.

Thank you for query. I understand that you used the recovery manager to backup your personal files. When you tried to restore them you got the message that the "Recovery Manager failed. Error code = FFFFFF 18"

Please contact HP  support for assistance. Contact HP Support Fill out the online form and follow the prompts

Please keep me updated.

Thanks for participating in the HP Forums where we want to help you as well as others who may experience a similar issue as yourself. Please consider marking the post that resolves your issue as "Accept as Solution" to help other community members! To show appreciation for my efforts kindly click the “Thumbs Up” below. 

Sparkles1

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.