Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion dm1-4402sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I created a recovery disk on a 32gb USB stick and it said it was successful. However it doesn't boot, even if I change the boot order in the bios, and it doesn't appear in the F9 boot manager. Wondering if anyone can suggest anything?

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@beachmat

What was the brand of USB drive that you used?

If the bootable drive is not appearing in the boot options list, go back into the bios (System Configuration>Boot Options) and disable Secure Boot (and if available, enable Legacy).

Then save and restart, the system will ask you to enter a code, then proceed to start.

Then go into the boot options menu (F9) again and see if the drive is listed.

HP Recommended

Thanks - I tried changing both those options and it still isn't showing in boot manager. Does the make of USB stick matter? There's no mark on it but it seems pretty solid.

HP Recommended

@beachmat wrote:

Does the make of USB stick matter? There's no mark on it but it seems pretty solid.

I assume you did this prior to upgrading to Windows 10 correct?

If so, then Yes.

There have been reports mostly of certain Sandisk drives not being recognized when a recovery is burned.

If your recovery stated it was succesful, but the drive is still not recognized, it has failed in some way.

Unfortunately, you cannot burn another recovery as per HP's EULA.

You can however use the Microsoft Media Creation Tool to install from ISO.

I would use a different drive though, something smaller like 8-16 GB will work if you have it.

Create media Windows 10

HP does not support drivers specifically for Windows 10 for your model, but Windows should be able to function with its built in drivers already.

Let me know if you have further questions.

HP Recommended

Actually no I did the recovery disk just recently, but the computer was upgraded to Windows 10 some time ago. I would actually like to go back to Windows 8, but I don't think that's possible from the on-disk recovery manager is it?

HP Recommended

Then the recovery you made wont work now. The upgrade broke the links to the recovery partition.

You can try the Windows 8.1 version of the MS Media Creation Tool, it just might work also. Then you can use the HP driver downloads for 8.1.

Create media Windows 8.1

Or you can still use the Windows 10 version of the media tool. Its up to you.

Create media Windows 10

"If" Windows asks for an activation key during the install, just click on Skip and continue. It will activate when it connects to the internet for updates.

HP Recommended

But I still have the old drive with the working recovery partition. Doing Reset PC apparently removes everything and reinstalls Windows, so presumably that will be the version it came with?

HP Recommended

I dont know what you mean by old drive, but if you have another HDD that was the original, the recovery will be what came with the system when it was new. In your case, 8 or 8.1, which ever you had.

HP Recommended

Sorry, I hadn't mentioned that I had upgraded to an SSD, so I wanted to use the Recovery media to do a factory reset and get the recovery partition on it.

HP Recommended

Ya that helps to include all the details. :Wink:

I dont know what recovery you burned, but if you have not burned the HP recovery, then you can still do that.

But you may or may not have problems going from a larger HDD to installing the HP recovery onto a smaller SSD.

The recovery looks for the same size or larger drive to install on.

That is why you may want to use the Microsoft creation tool (if what ever you have does not work).

I have explained what you need  to install Windows with. You should be good to go either way.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.