Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

MAY COMPUTER SI REMOVING and NEW LODING HP PROTECT TOOLS  PELAGE MAY HELP

HP Recommended

Thanks Daniel!

This did the trick. I installed HP Protect Tools on a HP 6910p with Win 8. After installation Windows didn't shut down unless you pushed the Off button.

Your instructions removed Protect Tools and the shutdown works again.

/Karl

HP Recommended

I work at a company that uses Fingerprint Readers. We had a difficult time getting our program to recognize our fingerprint reader instead of HP Protect. Since HP Protect was always calling for it, we couldn't use our program without uninstalling the software. Obviously, this is very hard to do since HP Protect is involved in so many different parts of the computer. You have to uninstall a minimum of five programs before it's off your machine, but even then there were still problems.

Why would HP create such a spread out program? Why does the program that handles fingerprint reader drivers have anything to do with a sound card? Why can't we uninstall this program without formatting the hard drive? Computers should be blank slates. This software is bloatware.

HP Recommended

Devvie -- sent you an email with details . . . basically the solution is entering the laptop's BIOS settings and:

1. Disabling the Fingerprint Reader (if your laptop has one)

2. Disabling and hiding the TPM IC (several steps):

a. If ANYTHING is using the embedded TPM for security, those security measureds MUST be reset and/or turned OFF

FIRST . . . including logins, drive encryption, drive protection, etc.

b. Go into the BIOS and set a BIOS access password if one has not already been set

(do NOT forget this password or you'll never get back into the BIOS)

c. This allows disabling the embedded TPM IC in the BIOS hardware settings

d. Disabling the TPM IC allows "hiding" it from the rest of the system (hardware) and the operating system

Save the BIOS settings and the system will reboot. There may be a confirmation during reboot regarding the disabling and hiding the TPM. Mine was "F1=yes" and "F2=no" . . . be certain to allow it or the BIOS will go back to the former settings.

This finally allowed successful uninstall of ALL the HP ProtectTools. I had to reinstall the Security Suite and then uninstall for its Uninstall to show up in the Control Panel's Software Uninstall listing as an unsuccessful uninstall will make it disappear from the list.

Hope this helps

John

HP Recommended

hello I set finger print on hp 8460p, i want to remove the password and fingerprints without success, can someone help me?

HP Recommended

@surgeon201 wrote:

hello I set finger print on hp 8460p, i want to remove the password and fingerprints without success, can someone help me?

I presume you want to remove your password and fingerprints . . . not managing any other user(s) than yourself . . . you will need to use two utilities, the HP ProtecTools Administrative Console and the HP ProtecTools Security Manager.

1. Start the HP ProtecTools Administrative Console (should be under "HP" in the computer's Start Menu)

2. Click on the "+" sign next to "Security" . . . it's near the top of Tools list on the left.

3. Click on "Features" and uncheck the boxes for "Windows Logon Security" and "Pre-Boot Security"

4. Click on "Authentication" on the left side and in the right pane, select the "Logon Policy" tab at the top.

a. For "Administrators" uncheck the two boxes for requiring passwords and/or fingerprints

b. Change the dropdown above the Policy settings from "Administrators" to "Users" and do the same,
          unchecking all the boxes requiring passwords and/or fingerprints

4. Change the tab at the top to "Session Policy" and do the same as you did for "Logon Policy."
5. Start the HP ProtecTools Security Manager (should be under "HP" in the computer's Start Menu)

6. Delete fingerprints first -- under the Credential Manager, go to Fingerprints

a.  It will ask yout to scan an enrolled fingerprint - do this - it's to verify who you are.

b. Left and right hands will show on the screen; green fingers are enrolled fingerprints.

c. Click on the green fingers to delete the enrolled fingerprints; they will turn white like the others

d. When all the green fingers are white, you have finished deleting all the enrolled fingerprints.

7. Delete your password next -- under the Credential Manager, go to Password (just above or below Fingerprints)

a. Type in your "Current Windows password" - this is required to verify who you are to allow changing it
     b. Do NOT enter anything in the "New Windows password" and "Confirm new password" boxes . . .
          not even a blank space. Click the "Change" button at the bottom.

If the Security Manager will not let you completely delete your fingerprints without registering a new one, or insists on entering a new password without leaving the new and confirm password boxes completely blank, recheck the settings in the ProtecTools Administrative Console and ensure they've been changed as I outlined above to change the system policy requiring passwords or fingerprints.

Both utilities have "Help" files (use the "?" in the blue circle to access them) . . . use them for more details.

HP Recommended

I too have had issues removing this bloatware.  With all the services running in the background, users were having to wait 3 to 5 minutes just to get a login screen.   (Hardware: Elitebook 8560w - Win7 Pro - 64 bit - i7 2.70GHz - 8GB RAM)

Thanks to Imppress for the list of what to remove and in what order; came in handy and worked for me.  I'll add a few removal requirements that I ran into to your list:

Using the Programs and Features Control Panel, remove the following, in order:

1. Credential Manager for HP ProtectTools
  2. Java Card Security for HP ProtectTools
  3. Drive Encryption for HP ProtectTools
  4. Smartcard security for HP ProtectTools
  5. Embedded Security for HP ProtectTools
  6. BIOS Security for HP ProtectTools
  7.       HP ProtectTools Device Access Manager
  8.       Face Recognition for HP ProtectTools
  9.       File Sanitizer for  HP ProtectTools
  10.    Privacy Manager for HP ProtectTools
  11.    Theft Recovery
  12. HP ProtectTools Security Manager

I hope this helps others in releiving this pain the the... <fill in blank here>

Thanks!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.