cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
MyraTwyman
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Repeated Call

HP Recommended
HP Laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am getting repeated calls from 866-756-0309. They insist they are from HP Support and my HP computer is sending receiving and sending out harmful viruses from Malaysia. Each call is from a heavy accented forgein voiced man, he has my email adrress and my cell phone number. I called the number back and they answer the phone  with an automated computer voice as HP Smart Friend Center.

Is this legitimate or a scam?

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
129,230 119,407 19,504 29,804
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

It is a scam.  No one from HP, Microsoft or any other reputable company will call you out of the blue and tell you that there is a problem with your PC.

They are indeed very clever...some folks knowing your name, e-mail address and even the model number/serial number of your PC.

Nevertheless, it is a scam.

See this link for more info on protecting yourself from these scammers.

http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/document/c05404707/

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation