cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
DjSker
5 3 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Replacing my hard drive with a brand new one. How do I install Windows 7 on it?

HP Pavilion G6
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My hard drive will not boot any more.  So I bought a new one and I want to install Windows 7 on it.  I have my original Product Key but I do not have an install CD.  How do I install the OS on a blank hard drive?  How do I get the installation cd?  I am not paying for a product I already payed for either. 

Thanks for the help in advance.

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Level 20
Level 20
109,730 99,907 15,593 23,961
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Replacing my hard drive with a brand new one. How do I install Windows 7 on it?

Hi:

HP will only sell recovery media for your specific model g6.

Otherwise your only option would be to try the following, since Microsoft will not provide a free W7 ISO file download with an OEM product key...they only provide the IS download with a retail product key.

This site claims to have genuine, unadulterated W7 ISO files for download...

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-iso-download-tool

Click on the link labeled Windows ISO Downloader.exe

You can use either the:

Win 7 Home SP1 or the (Retail version, but the  OEM key on your PC's case will work with it)

Win 7 Home SP1 COEM (This version would be for what HP would have used--System Builder)

N is for European countries.

K is for South Korean markets.

Then you can use this tool to transfer the file to a 4 GB USB flash drive or a DVD.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation