Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I am an administrator of the company. One of my user setup a BIOS administrator and forgot the password in a HP 2230s notebook. Now everytime I boot up the notebook, it only prompt me to select the BIOS administrator login or the User Login.

I have tried to remove the CMOS battery for an overnight. However it only reset the data and time but not the BIOS Administrator password. What can I do to reset the BIOS password?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Bart.

There are no master password generators for ProBooks or EliteBooks.

You will need to contact HP.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html?jumpid=reg_r1002_usen_c-001_title_r0003

Or look at this link.

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/49497-HP-Probook-Elitebook-BIOS-Password-Reset-Utility

Or replace the BIOS chip.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Compaq-6530b-6535b-6730b-6730s-6735b-6735s-6820s-6830s-Bios-Chip-No-Passw...

REO

I must inform you that these services are not endorsed by HP, and that HP is not responsible for any damage that may arise to your system by using these services. Please be aware that you do this at your own risk.

View solution in original post

71 REPLIES 71
HP Recommended

Do you get a code after 3 failed password attempts???

Let us know.

HP Recommended

I don't get a code after 3 failure attempts.

After 3 failure attempts, it show up a "On Screen Keyboard". When you press the enter key, it will show up a screen showing "Authentication Failed" and "System Locked Press the power button to restart the system".

FYI, my laptop is HP Compaq 2230s s/n: [edited Serial Number by Moderator] p/n:KH119AV

HP Recommended

Try  e9luf7vh4 or e9luf7vhr.

Third letter is lower case L.

This should be the master password.

First time it generated 2.

Let me know what you find.

HP Recommended

Is it the BIOS Administrator password. I am sorry that both password did not work.

HP Recommended

Hello,

please can you tell me if you solved the problem?

i have the same with hp 6730B.

thanks.

HP Recommended

Hello

2230s and 6370s/b are business notebooks

those was made to be most secured laptops

no way to remove bios password 

regards

No

HP Recommended

Hi,

Things U can do to delete Bios pass are:

- remove RTC battery from system board - 50/50 chances mostly on old notebooks.

- contact HP support and inform - in newest bioses theres a possiblity to deleta pass using special tool HP have. U'll need to send bios version and bios release date - if its not older than april 2010 it can be removed.

Those are only solutions - last one is system board exchange but i srtongly suggest HP support, they will help U in 100% do it without parts exchange.

gl.

_____________ _ _ _
click on Kudos if i helped U 😄
HP Recommended

Remove RTC battery - only reset the clock but not the BIOS password

Contact HP support - The waranty for the HP 2230s in problem had expired.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.