Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Compaq 6720s
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)
The fan is driving me BONKERS! Tried to live with it, but can't and it just ruins music listening. Imagine a jazz song with NASA in the background. Now really.

HP have told me they won't help because my laptop's too old. I just hate to buy a new one when I can salvage. I know the technology's there... somewhere.

Please help.

I need to reboot either the original Vista or maybe even Windows 7(I THINK the bios allows for this) to install the HP bios patch. I don't have any OS discs and F11 is not working. The partition manager says the backup part is active, but I have no idea if it will be Vista, Windows 7 or 10 or what. Any suggestions?

I just want to get the sorted once and for all. I don't want to buy an extended warrentee because the laptop is so old and the bios may not even work well.

Please please please.

I am just learning about computers.

I quite like the laptop, but will have to get a new one else.

Thank you.
3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

An easy way to fix this is to flash the BIOS using a USB flash Drive.

You can also try and install it on the current OS by downloading the BIOS from the below links.

version F.0DN

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=3442838&swItemId=ob_66972_1&swEnvOid=2096...

F.20

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=ob_102422_1

I'm an HP Employee.The opinions expressed here are my personal opinions, not of HP.
Click on Thumbs up if my post helped you.Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking an answerAccept as Solutionif it solves your problem.

HP Recommended
I was told that the bios updates are OS specific!? Furthermore, that I could make the laptop catatonic if attempting a bios update on the wrong OS!

Also, of the links you gave, do you know which has the fan fix?

Thank you.
HP Recommended
Yeah, those bios updates are for XP at the most.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.