Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have an hp mini 1151nr..that I purchased from Verizon.. About 6 months after buying it, I had to send it in to have the motherboard replaced/while it was under warranty.  When it was returned to me everything worked as before, but I noticed that MS Works was not installed on it. 

I kept the laptop, using it with out Works, but I recently ordered the restore disks- I was having no problem with the computer-but I used the MS works disk and installed the program.  After installing the program, and the computer restarted, instead of the usual start up with the HP logo- the computer started up showing the Compaq logo, and a message in red that said- No serial number found..and the computer does not display the serial number or the model number of the computer.  I have attempted to restore the computer to the factory settings, as well as upgrading the computer's bios/ upgrading the computer to WIndows 7..and I continue to get the same message when the computer starts.

I have no other problems with the computer..all works fine..but I get the error message..

s/n [text removed for privacy]

p/n NMU123UA#ABA1205iD1130BE04219478F

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

As this is a specific issue caused due to service, there might not be a fee for the service if the issue is idenfied as a problem with the hardware settings.

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***

View solution in original post

36 REPLIES 36
HP Recommended

The notebook needs to be serviced. Please call technical support and explain this problem. It will be taken care...

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***
HP Recommended

Is there a charge to having the computer serviced for such problems?

HP Recommended

As this is a specific issue caused due to service, there might not be a fee for the service if the issue is idenfied as a problem with the hardware settings.

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

HP Recommended

I called hp technical support and I was told that I am out of warranty and that I would have to purchase the extended warranty in order for it to be fixed.  I had sent my computer in while it was still under the warranty because of a problem with the hard drive and it was replaced, however when the computer was returned to me...the computer did not have Works installed on it, I ordered the restore disks and installed works..but after installing it, and the computer restarted, I got the error message, however everything on the computer works fine.

HP Recommended

Please check serial number in BIOS, enter BIOS by tapping F10. Match S/N and P/N with your notebook.

It is very difficult to justify either it was incomplete HP motherboard replacement job or someone has override the setting.

FWIW, have you ever bring the notebook to any other computer service shop except HP?

______

Pavilion DV2922TX, XP-SP3 32bit, Intel T5750 2.0Ghz, Nvidia Geforce 8400M GS with 128MB, 4GB 667 DDR2, 250GB HDD
HP Recommended

the serial number and product number are blank if i press the f10 and go to the bios when starting the computer.  The computer worked fine after having the motherboard replaced. I had no problems and did not take the computer anywhere to be serviced..but months went by before I tried using Works on the computer..and that was when I noticed that when I got the computer back after the motherboard being replaced, Works wasn't installed. So, I ordered the restore disks and loaded Works to the computer, but after the computer loaded the program-and restarted-I began getting the error message and the missing info in the bios. I tried restoring the entire computer-and I continue getting the message.

HP Recommended

My daughter got her computer Christmas 2009.SERIAL NUMBER NOT FOUND  is coming up. I need to know what and where to send it. Is this going to cost me any thing? I need ans RMA #. and how long will it take to get the motherboard replaced.

HP Recommended

If there is no change in the hardware of the system and all the hardware inside the system is HP hardware, this would be serviced free of cost based on the condition and support criteria. I would request you to contact technical support for better assistance in this regard.

To Contact HP:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/contacthp?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

HP Recommended

Nice to know there is a possibility for a free service from HP.

______

Pavilion DV2922TX, XP-SP3 32bit, Intel T5750 2.0Ghz, Nvidia Geforce 8400M GS with 128MB, 4GB 667 DDR2, 250GB HDD
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.