cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
S_Patel1
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

SMART Hard disk error

HP Recommended
Spectre Pro Ultrabook13-2301ea
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

I got in from work and my laptop had an error on it. On restarting the laptop a black screen came up with the error message "SMART Hard disk error. The SMART hard disk check has detected an imminent failure." It recommended running the Hard Disk test in System Diagnostics. The memory check and quick hard disk check passed. I then pressed enter and tried to startup the laptop but the error message "Boot device not found. Pleae install an operating system on your hard disk" came up. I've looked through all the HP Support Assistant pages online and tried to restore the BIOS default settings by pressing F10 and F9 and saving the changes, but this didn't seem to help. I also tried an extensive hard disk check but after 1 minute it says that it has passed. Please help! I'm not sure sure what else I can try.

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
iomare
Level 15
Level 15
11,200 11,140 2,205 4,490
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

I would say that your hard disk has failed in some way. The SMART message comes directly from logs of the hard disk. I would change the hard disk and reinstall operating system.

If you have the rescue disks for win 8 or the operating system you could see if the hard disk is still available and try to repair the boot sectors of the OS.

In my opinion you need to replace Hard drive,

Hope it helps,

David

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation