Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

if you tried the fix suggestions here in the forum and it worked for you, well congrats. tried them but still nothing happened to my cq40. the unit is just a waste of my money. you can still get your files. what i did was remove the hard disk and made it a portable storage via usb. that cq40 really brings bad memories. my hard earned money gone to waste.

HP Recommended

I'm sorry to hear about your loss on your investment. I have a DV4, and what I have been researching it is simple to replace the processor in one of those. It's just a matter of removing all the screws and parts that get in the way of the location of the CPU processor. I have even learned that the processor can actually be upgraded with a compatible processor of the HP Pavilion DV4 Series. I found a replacement for now for about $23, and after watching a video on processor replacement can now save myself a lot of money from having a professional do it for me. What's a $23 investment to the total loss, or paying hundreds for a professional to do it?

New HP Pavilion DV4 CPU

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/161019586634?lpid=82

HP Pavilion CPU Replacement DV4-DV5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m66CPzcFaK0

HP Recommended

it's easy to replace hardware parts. as long as the motherboard is not broken. if it is, it better to buy another unit than buy a new board. devices nowadays after using it for a few months or years seems to self destruct. haha. goodluck replacing the processor. either you save, i dont know if save is the right term to use because you already bought a unit that should run great, money in installing it or you totally destroy your unit. just be static free. 🙂

HP Recommended

Lol I won't destroy it. It's not the first "product save" of my life lol. Mother boards don't cost that much either, and soldering irons don't run that much. I am not knew to the love and repair of my devices, I just wanted to share the info for anyone else who has lost the processor in their DV4, and would like to save them some money if and where possible. It's nice talking to someone who is actually active on a forum lol.

HP Recommended

hp should extend product warranties to more than 1 year even if their products doesn't last that long. :robotfrustrated:

HP Recommended

I agree but, they want you to purchase another one when you call in. It's how they get paid. They keep customers coming back. Everything is created for obscelence.

HP Recommended

My dv4 recently (19 March 2014) did the same thing. After springing for a new computer, started researching the problem online. Wrapped it in a jacket for 45 minutes and was able to get it to reboot. I had updates to download, which I did. Haven't had the same problem for three days now. Keeping my fingers crossed.

HP Recommended

Is there a way to get my data off the hard drive?  I have tried a lot of these suggestions with no result!

HP Recommended

Just take out the hard drive and put it on another pc.  take it out the data files from there.  Hope this helps you!

HP Recommended

Scroll/numlock and caps lock blinking....battery is fully charged....How do I stop the blinking thing.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.