Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi -hoping someone can help me out.

I just purchased the new Spectre x360 15 and I want to change the function keys.  Mine are enabled (i.e., when I push F3 it brightens my screen, hit F4 brings up monitor settings) but I want to disable them as I use the function keys a lot in excel. 

I did look up in the forum re: link http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02035108

My issue is that because my F10 key is enabled when I turn off my computer and try to get into the BIOS per the instructions it doesn't work. I've tried just hitting F10 key alone, and then again with Function+F10 key but I can't seem to get into the BIOS screen.

Can someone please help.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@KN2

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP Spectre x360 series laptop. I read that the laptop is unable to enter the BIOS. Yiu hit the f10 key repeatedly and it does not enter the BIOS. Secondly, you would like to change the function keys.

To provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

• Please let me know the exact product model no. This link will help you to find the model no: http://hp.care/2bygf7l
  • Is the f2 or the f11 key working on startup? 

Meanwhile, I recommend you to run the keyboard test by following the below steps:

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

• Turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second.

• The HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu is displayed.

Figure : HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu

HP PC Hardware Diagnostic UEFI screen

• Select Component tests.

Figure : Component Tests options

List of the Component tests

• Please initiate a test on the Keyboard - Quick interactive functional test of the keys on the keyboard. Click Keyboard, then Run once. The Keyboard Test time is 3 minutes.

I hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. Good luck! 🙂

HP Recommended

I can't believe HP Support's answer is so unhelpful... 

Anyway, to lock or unlock the Fn key you need to get into the BIOS. Turn off the laptop, then turn it on and start pressing the Esc button every second until you see the BIOS screen. You can then find the setting there, I think it's called Action Key or something like that.

A bigger question is, why HP puts functions like this in the BIOS? This is 2018 now, not 1988. Wake up, HP, every other manufacturer lets you do this via the Windows.

HP Recommended

You are but a legend Fair Dincum!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.