Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP 15-af000 Notebook PC series
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

error message "System_thread_exception_not_handled (atikmdag.sys)" Keeps appearing. It happened a few weeks. It occured again last night. How did it fix it, without having to spend money or a great deal of money. I have had this computer serviced a year ago because it crashed because of Windows 10. They removed 10 and resinstalled 8.1. I use a wireless connection at home. 

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello DeQuana87,

This BSOD by the text, "(atikmdag.sys)," I did research with the phrase and found out that it's related to something like an AMD kernel.
It seems to be video card-related.
Try Files->Computer (right-click->Properties)->Device Manager and re-check the video card driver. Right-click and updated the driver. That update solved the issue

Also try this drivers and then try updating : sp71254.exe

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

**Click the White Thumbs Up Button on the right to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

GBL84

I am not an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Thank you. I can't find files. I'm running on 8.1 Windows.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.