Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
ProBook 430 G3
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

I purchased a new laptop, but wasn't aware it didn't have an optical drive. that's ok I thought, I'll install from a flash drive...

After selecting country/language at the start of the install I'm getting a message 'Load Driver'
'A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now.'

I've read that it's due to Windows 7 not having USB 3.0 drivers, and the 'fix' is to plug the drive into a USB 2.0 port. I'm using the USB 2.0 port and no joy, so assuming it's using the same chipset at the USB 3.0 ports.

I've tried from a USB optical driver, I've tried several OS disks and ISO's. I've tried disable various BIOS options (now reset to default). No joy.

I've tried downloading various chipset drivers and various storage drivers onto the bootable flash drive, or another flash drive when trying to DVD...but it only displays 'X' and the files created for the OS, I'm unable to 'see' the other devices that hold these drivers.

Having spent most of the day trying to resolve, I've given up and hoping somebody on these lovely forums may be able to give me the guidance I desperately require...Surely HP must have a tool that installs the required chipset drivers into the OS boot files like other manufacturers?

Thanks in advance

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

You can download driver from below link.(sp72691.exe)

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=7834508&swItemId=ob_154967_1&swEnvOid=405...

Extract same on other pc/notebook. Copy extracted folder on Usb Flash drive,  give path of driver as mentioned below after getting error related to "A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing" or "A media driver your computer needs is missing" error message when you install Windows".

Driver Path : X:\swsetup\SP72691\Drivers\Win7\x64

X: = Your Drive letter.

You can use same method for 32 bit installation useing path X:\swsetup\SP72691\Drivers\Win7\x86

You can also add device driver to OS image using "nLite"

HP Recommended

Hello,

i have the same problem.

USB is not enable in windows installer, i can see it when i open a msdos console with diskpart tool. i just see my hdd and not my usb key.

My usb mouse didn't work too.

didi you find a solution, i have to sysprep 30 430g3 .......

HP Recommended

And how did you want to install this drivers if we can't see usb device ?

HP Recommended

Step I had done for this model:

- remove the HDD from the Pro Book 430 G3

- install the HDD on another laptop (I had used another laptop from a competitor brand, any brand of laptop will do)

- install Win7 Pro x86 as normal, don't install any specific driver for this laptop just the generic and Windows built-in drivers will do

- download all the driver installers from HP Support website for Pro Book 430 and saved inside one folder (can use another computer to download)

- copy the driver folder into HDD from the just installed Win7 on this laptop (copying later once installed back the HDD on the Pro Book won't work, USB ports not recognizing any devices plugged into the USB port)

- remove the HDD from this laptop and installed back into the Pro Book

- Pro Book will auto-detect all devices again and will prompt for a restart

- once restarted, enjoy installing the copied drivers from the driver folder.

HP Recommended

Hi:

Intel removed USB 2.0 chipset support from the Skylake chipset. 

Meaning that normal USB installs for windows will not work.   

The Microsoft Windows ISO doesn't have the native USB 3.0 drivers either.  

So you have to add the USB 3.0 drivers into the Windows ISO.    Intel came through on this one too.  They have a utility that does all the work for you.  

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25476/Wi​​ndows-7-USB-3-0-Creator-Utility

Run this on another PC, and point to your USB Installation media.

HP Recommended

Hello,

I have nearly the same problem.

I just bougt HP ProBook 430 G3 two days ago without Windows. So I started to try to install with an optical drive and then with a bootable usb flash drive. Both didn't work. After selecting country/language at the start of the install I'm getting a message 'Load Driver'
'A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now.'

I also tried to your advice:

Intel removed USB 2.0 chipset support from the Skylake chipset. 

Meaning that normal USB installs for windows will not work.   

The Microsoft Windows ISO doesn't have the native USB 3.0 drivers either.  

So you have to add the USB 3.0 drivers into the Windows ISO.    Intel came through on this one too.  They have a utility that does all the work for you.  

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25476/Wi​​ndows-7-USB-3-0-Creator-Utility

Run this on another PC, and point to your USB Installation media.

But when it was done, I couldn't boot from the flash drive anymore.

So do you have any further help for me to install windows 7 professional?

Thanks in advance

HP Recommended

When "Wi​​ndows-7-USB-3-0-Creator-Utility" was done, you'll get the message that says try reinstalling with settings that are compatible with windows 7, I suggest selecting "This program installed correctly". Hope this helps!

HP Recommended
HP Recommended
Hi, first sorry for my English, I'm French 😊
I solved this problem one time.

The problem is no USB drivers were found in the boot loader, into the windows installer.

What I did is put the hdd in another pc as second drive, I format it in ntfs, and downloaded Intel USB 3 drivers, I decompressed them on my hdd.

After mounting the hdd in my laptop, when windows installer told me that cd/dvd drive driver is missing I selected the drivers on the hdd.

I hope it can help
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.