Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
20-B310 All in One
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I recenty had a new hard drive installed in my PC. I know sometimes new drivers or udates are needed.

I have 4 USB ports in the back of PC and 2 on the side.  The 2 on the side now do not recognize any flash drives but the ones in the back are OK. 2 in the back have the mouse and keyboard lugged in.

I did try going into device manager and looking on the list of USB root hubs, it does not show any that are not recognized.

It did show 4 root hubs. I also read that I can uninstall each hub and then shut down and unplug and they will automatically update but the hubs didnt indicate there loacation and i didnt want to not have my mouse operate.

I downloaded support assistant but that does not troubleshoot the drivers for usb ports.

The Hp website download page does not have my OS and says no udates for my PC.

Any ideas?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @firefighters510,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that the USB ports on your HP Pavilion 20-b310 All-in-One Desktop PC is not getting recognized by the computer.

This issue could occur if the USB drivers are not updated.

Let's go through a few steps to troubleshoot this issue.

And here's the step by step guide for you listed below:

1. Unplug all USB devices connected to the computer except a USB mouse and keyboard (if in use). This includes hubs, thumb drives, printers, and video cameras.

2. Click Start and then type Device Manager into the Search field.

3. Double-click Universal Serial Bus Controllers to expand the list.

4. Right-click the first USB Root Hub in the list and then select Uninstall.

5. Continue uninstalling all USB Root Hubs listed.

6. Close Device Manager and restart the computer.

7. If the USB device that is having problems came with software and it was not previously installed, install the software now, following the manufacturer provided instructions.

8. Reconnect the USB device that was having problems and test it to see if it works.

You may also check the link: Troubleshooting USB Connections (Windows 7)

Let me know how this works.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

Hi Rainbow23,

Thanks for responding. I have tried going into device manager and updating driver software as well as uninstalling the USB hubs that are not being used. I have 4 ports in the rear that are fine but the 2 on the side have not worked since the new hard drive was installed. Unfortunately, HP.com has no updated drivers for windows 7 so that eliminates that idea.

I did reach out to the computer repair shop that installed new hard drive. I told them that the only option might be that the wires connecting these 2 ports might be disconnected. When I do plug in the flash drive or cell phone, there is power because the flash drive light goes on and the cell phone charges. I am a bit confused because I have 6 USB hubs but only 4 appear in the device manager. Not sure what that means.

There were a couple of other minor issues that I was able to correct with updating video driver.

This all in one unit was a floor model I bought for 200.00. After several weeks, I had problems with hard drive so they replaced for free. No warranty on this unit but the computer store is very reliable so I guess I will have them open unit to check connection of the ports.

I don't think there are other options except  go into bios which I am not comfortable doing that and doing more damage.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks

Jeff

HP Recommended

Hi @firefighters510,

Thank you for your reply, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that the issue still persists after following the steps provided in the previous interaction.

Please follow the steps listed below: 

1. Open Device Manager.

2. Expand category “Universal Serial Bus controllers”.

3. Double-click the “USB Root Hub” device, and click the Power Management tab. (if there’s more than one USB Root Hub device, repeat these steps for each one.)

4. Turn off the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power option, and click OK button.

If the issue still persists then it could be a hardware issue with the unit and you may need to contact HP phone support for further assistance at the link: www.hp.com/contacthp

Let me know if this works.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.