cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
dlwharleyman
Level 1
7 4 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Using HP Recovery media to re-install factory Windows

HP Recommended
Pavilion 14 G6S68UA#ABA
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Original HDD (HGST 5K1000-750) crashed and I want to reinstall/recovery to a replacement HDD so I can attempt to recover data from crashed drive. Replacement drive is the same as the crashed drive.

I have the HP Recovery media, but when I run it, I get a message saying "Recovery Manager - Application Close - [Info] No HDD.

I rebooted using the F2 key to bring up the diagnostic UEFI Ver. 1..6.0.0.  When I run Hard Disk Check, the screen says "SMART Check: NOT INSTALLED" and "Short (or Long) DST NOT INSTALLED. 

I installed the replacement drive as a external USB drive on my other comuter,  initialized the drive (using GPT vice MBR) and then formatted it  as NTFS. The replacement drive works fine on my other computer.

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
dlwharleyman
Author
Level 1
7 4 0 0
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Fixed it!  Had to do a hard reset for the computer by turning it off,  disconnecting all the external connections, unplugging the AC, removing the battery, and then holding the On button down for 15-20 seconds to drain any leftover power. Hooked everything back up and now the computer sees the drive.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation