Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Product name is hp  pavilion dv4-6000

Error message-

HARD DISK ERROR
Pl. run the Hard Disc test in System Diagnostics
Hard Disk 1 [3F1]

Does this mean the hard disk has to be replaced?
Please advise
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

A fail on the hard drive test indicates there is a physical issue with the hard drive. This means it will likely need to be replaced. This is fairly straight forward so you should be able to do it yourself. What is the exact model number of the notebook? I will find detailed instructions for you.

In the event that you do not wish to replace the drive yourself, or if you feel you may still be in warranty, I suggest contacting HP Support for your region. If you are within the US/Canada you can contact them at 1-800-474-6836. If you live outside of this region you will need to go to HP's Support Site.

Also, you will need recovery discs to restore the original operating system.  If you have not made any previously you can contact HP to get them.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
HP Recommended

Hi,

As indicated, you need to run a HDD test:

1. Restart the computer.
2. Keep tapping the F10 key when the HP logo appears. This will take you to Bios Setup Utility.
3. Select the Diagnostic tab.
4. Select the "hard drive self test" option and press enter to perform the test.
Note: This test may take up to 40 minutes or more.

Pass - The hard drive is not damaged.
Fail - the hard drive is damaged and may need to be replaced.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended
Thanks for the reply. I shall follow the inst and post my comments!
HP Recommended
Sorry for the delay in posting the results..

On starting the system the diagonostic setup shows up automatically.
On running Primary Hard Disk Self Test the same shows has follows

Primary Hard Disk Self Test
Quick test
00% Complete
Hard Disk 1 Quick (303)
Full Test
00% Complete
Hard Disk 1 Full (305)
SMART check
Hard Disk SMART Passed
On Pressing ESC
Hard Disk Test Failed

Doesnt seem that the test is goin forward? What does this mean?
HP Recommended

Could you please advise the next step?

Thanks

Arun

HP Recommended

A fail on the hard drive test indicates there is a physical issue with the hard drive. This means it will likely need to be replaced. This is fairly straight forward so you should be able to do it yourself. What is the exact model number of the notebook? I will find detailed instructions for you.

In the event that you do not wish to replace the drive yourself, or if you feel you may still be in warranty, I suggest contacting HP Support for your region. If you are within the US/Canada you can contact them at 1-800-474-6836. If you live outside of this region you will need to go to HP's Support Site.

Also, you will need recovery discs to restore the original operating system.  If you have not made any previously you can contact HP to get them.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. I wouldnt be able to replace the hard drive myself.  The warranty period has expired.

Wont it be possible to ask the HP service to try to transfer my data to the new  hard drive and also that i could keep the old hard disk with me..since there is a lot of information on the drive.

HP Recommended

The hard drive test results you posted earlier in the thread state that is was able to complete 0.0% of the hard drive check. To me this indicates the drive is likely totally dead. Unfortunately, if the drive is dead your data is unlikely to be recovered. There is a trick to possibly retrieve some of your data but it is not something a technician working for HP is going to try.

This trick requires you to put the hard drive in the freezer. So you'll still have to remove the hard drive from the notebook. Do not put the whole notebook in the freezer!

How to Put a Dead or Dying Hard Drive in a Freezer for Data Recovery

EDIT:  I just wanted to add that I do not know how this would affect your warranty.  So contact HP Support first if your product is still under warranty.

HP Recommended

I am deeply surprised how the hard drive can be totally dead. The laptop is fairly new. Its only been two years and its been handled pretty carefully.

Thanks for the tip about freezing the hard disk.

What could be the reason the hard disk goes completely dead. Previously i have worked with Dell laptops and faced similar issues with hard drives..but it never went totally dead and i was able to retrieve data by connecting it to another PC via SATA connectors.

HP Recommended

Regular hard drives (this does not apply to Solid State Drives) are spun using a motor and all motors fail.  I personally have had experiences ranging from months to years.  Another common cause in notebooks is due to their mobile nature.  Moving a hard drive while in use can cause it to scratch the plates which hold your data. 

Here is an article in which the author goes very in-depth on the subject. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.