Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
250 G3
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello All,

Please assist:

What DVDRW driver does HP 250 G3 laptop use?

And where can i find it to download.

Your urgent response would be appreciated.

Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

An optical drive does not use a downloadable driver like a wireless card. Windows provides basic function for storage volumes including optical drives. If you are having a problem with the drive it is not going to be fixed by downloading a driver, but there are some other well-known fixes. 

Please let us know what is going on and we can point you to something likely to help. 

HP Recommended

Hi Huffer.

Thanks for your response.

The previous support personnel in my firm downgraded the OS of a batch of 5 models of this laptop from wins 8.1 to wins 7 sp.

Ever since, the dvd drive stopped working.

from my checks via device manager it appears an incorrect driver is installed on the system. And as is i need to format said system but am unable to via the dvd driver that is not working.

HP Recommended

The DVD drives stopped working on all 5? Are you trying to put Windows 8 back on? Likely the security settings in the BIOS were switched to legacy boot to do the Windows 7 install and may have to be switched back to UEFI/secure boot for Windows 8. If you can't boot the system from a bootable disk, that is not a driver issue, it is either a bad security setting in the BIOS or the drive is dead. When you boot the system from the optical drive, no driver has even loaded yet you are functioning in a pure hardware environment. 

There is a bit of troubleshooting we have to go through here? So the drive is not accessible from Windows 7? Please describe error messages and appearance. Does the Drive show up at all in device manger? Can you boot the system from a known good bootable CD/DVD? 

HP Recommended

Am attempting to reload wins 7 sp on one of such systems as its not too responsive to loaded applications.

On inserting the bootable disk and restarting the system whilst pressing F9, its immediately noticable that the drive is not evident among a list of options to choose inorder to start the reloading sequence.

I created a bootable usb drive and reattempted the process to bypass the dvd drive in all, but same effect. Am told there are some drivers missing bla bla bla and it doesnt start. Funny as i have used this bootable usb drive to format multiple systems (not this particular product though) succesfully.

I also attempted booting the system normally. On inserting the bootable drive in the slot, there was no noticable difference.... it didnt register at all.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.