Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

pavilion dm1 

pn ly133av

sn  [edited]

Windows 7 OS

This pavilion is brand new and only getting like .2 mbps from speedtest.net. The upload speed is normal but the dwnload speed is horrible. Now, I still have my old computer sitting here and it is on the same WLAN getting 10-15 mbps from speedtest. It is a dell inspiron with windows vista. This has to be a hardware/software issue. I have seen many posts asking this question but I havnt seen any answers. Please tell me you can help...

-Ray 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

All,

I have this SAME EXACT problem.  I just bought my Pavilion m6 three days ago and immediately noticed that the download speed was very slow.  Also, many of the things the folks are recommending on this site are not taking into account that the laptops are brand new, the settings are already the factory ettings, and things are not running in the background everytime we are trying to download.  And just like the original poster - I have my old clunky, almost dead laptop right here and it's downloading things 5 times as fast as my new laptop.

Also, I found another post online from a HP Pavilion user who bought a new laptop and it is downloading slow.

So, taking all this into account, A LOGICAL PERSON CAN CONSLUDE THAT THE PROBLEM IS WITH THE PAVILION LAPTOP.  So, is there an HP employee that mans this site that can escalate this issue and come back with the offical HP response to why this problem is occuring?  I will definiately go online and rate the Pavilion low on the ratings sites if I don't get back a suitable answer.

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
HP Recommended

You may check if any applications running in the back ground for the updates. For example windows update, antivirus update or some other software updates.

Let us know for more!

"I work for HP."
Click the Kudos star to say thanks
Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem

Regards
Sreenag
HP Recommended
pl. disable windows update using control panel. go to windows update and disable it by uncheck all option and remove unwanted apps
HP Recommended

There could be other devices connected on the router that shared the internet. Just to make sure, turn off all desktops/iphones/notebooks, except this one and the router and try the speed test again.

Also make sure that you are somewhere newar the router. 

HP Recommended

disabled windows update and antivirus. even turned firewall off...no change at all

HP Recommended

with nothing else but the pavillion  connected to the router there is still no change...

HP Recommended

Would request you to run the "Windows Network Troubleshooter" which can be accessed by typing the same on the start menu. Run the diagnostics test and you will be provided with the result for the issues and solutions for the same.

Post update of the solution provided for further help.

Let us know for more!

"I work for HP."

Regards
Sreenag
HP Recommended

troubleshooter does not detect any problems with my network or internet connections

HP Recommended

Would suggest you to do a  BIOS Update and check if that helps to resolve the issue.

Please post the update for further help.

Let us know for more!

"I work for HP."

Regards
Sreenag
HP Recommended

BIOS is up to date. I have run the hp tuneup and checked to make sure everything is current on updates. There has to be some issue with windows 7 or this pavillion that is restricting the download speeds. everything else i have tried on this internet connection gets 10-15 mbps ...including an xbox  

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.