Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15t- au000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
  1. Hi I bought this laptop Pavilion 15t- au000, in July 2016, Windows 10 Home 64-bit pre-installed.  I was having some issues with windows 2 days ago- my start button wasn't working and I couldn't access the start menu from the taskbar too. I googled the issue and one of the solutions was to reset the PC. I chose the option to keep my files and reset the PC. 
  2. After the reset, Windows wasn't activated. I used the Activation troubleshoot but it gave me  this error. jjj.png
  3. I decided to try Factory reset since it sets Windows back to the factory installed settings, but when I went into the HP Recovery Manager, the factory reset option is greyed out and I can't press it. 
  4. What should I do? Please help. 
5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Sky9674

This is a great location to get assistance! I read your post and see that you are unable to perform system recovery on your HP Pavilion notebook. I would like to help you resolve this issue. 

However, I will need a few details to provide an accurate solution,

Please confirm if the system board was replaced.

Meanwhile:

Please contact HP Support and order for the recovery media to perform recovery from recovery media.

Reply with the result of the above-mentioned steps, for further assistance.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

No I haven't replaced anything.  On the activation screen it's showing my prodcut ID and Key but it can't activate. I'll try to contact HP Support now. Thank you. 

HP Recommended

@Sky9674

It looks like you were interacting with @sandytechy20, but he's out for the day 

And I'll be glad to help you out.

The Riddle_Decipher is at your service,

Before you contact HP, there's something else you should know,

And Here’s what you need to know:

• OEM Copy: If your computer came with Windows, it likely has an OEM copy. An OEM copy is tied to a specific computer and can’t be moved to a new computer. While you’re free to upgrade a PC’s hardware components or replace a failing hard drive, you can’t move your OEM copy to a new computer.
  • Retail Copy: If you purchased a boxed copy of Windows, it’s likely a retail copy. A retail copy of Windows can be moved to a new computer, but you’re only allowed to use that copy of Windows on a single computer at a time. That means you’d have to uninstall the old copy of Windows before you moved it to a new computer.

Don't worry, though, as I'll be glad to help you out as you could attempt activating your windows using the following methods:

Activate by phone (IVR) using Microsoft:

• Step 1 – Click on Windows Orb and enter ‘slui.exe 4’ into the search box
  • Step 2 – From the search list, click on ‘slui.exe 4’
  • Step 3 – From the drop-down list, choose the country you are residing now
  • Call the designated toll-free number; Read out the number displayed on the screen accordingly.
  • The IVR will then read out a list of character to you, enter it into the screen and Activate windows.

Reinstall windows using the recovery media that you may have created shortly after the computer was purchased,
if you haven't that's okay as you can order one online using this HP Article: Click here for details on how to obtain a recovery media.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi! Thanks for the steps but I found a solution. 

I installed the Fresh Windows Installation App from Microsoft's website. I used that and it worked! Windows is now activated and I'm having no problems so far. My computer came with windows installed so I believe it's the OEM type. 

I think what happened was before I reset the PC, I couldn't access the start menu from the taskbar or by pressing the start menu button on the keyboard, so I think something got corrupted. PC Reset didn't work and Windows was still corrupted. With this fresh installation, I'm no longer having any problems at all! Thanks for your help anyway. 🙂
HP Recommended

@Sky9674

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I'm glad you found the solution you were looking for.

Thanks for taking the time to let the community know about the solution

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.

I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉

To simply say thanks for my efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos.

And accept this as the solution to help others find your post helpful.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.