Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have been encontering this problem since two days...I have a pair of wireless  mouse and keyboard connected with a nano receiver....but from two days I am not able to connect the keyboard....I think there is something faulty with nano receiver....Please help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

NO, Hard Reset does not wipe out your data!

Performing a Hard Reset or Forced Reset

Hard Reset is a Driver Reset; this is NOT the Windows 8 Reset that installs the Operating System.  The Hard Reset procedure does not wipe out your files nor does it destroy your Windows setup in any way.

Why a Power Reset works to fix some issues: 

Hard Reset clears the driver instructions that usually persist from boot-to-boot.  The computer is forced to go read all “fresh” instructions from the drivers and software stored on-disk in the Operating System.  The action of clearing and forcing a reread of the on-disk drivers and software can solve some issues.

Why a Power Reset might Not Work:

If the issue is more than just entanglement, if the "good instructions" located in the Operating System are not good enough -- that is, you need an update, a new driver, or there is a problem that cannot be "untangled", then the Reset will not work.

If there is an underlying hardware problem the Power Reset will not work.

Click the Kudos Star!

It is a great “Thank You” for the Experts who offer aid.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

You might try performing a Hard Reset to kick the drivers.

Perform the Hard Reset .  Boot the computer and log in

Next:

If you think it is the Unifier, you might be able to install the software for that Unifer and rerun it.

For example, the Logitech Unifer software is located: Logitech Unifying Software

• If you have moved the Unifier to a USB 3.0 port, put it back into your USB 2 port.  It may be happier.

• If you have tried moving the Unifier itself from one computer to another, understand the each Unifier can only be married to one device of a type at a time.   If you are having this or a similar issue, run the Unifier software and look under Advanced to see the list of available devices that are currently attached to that Unifier device.
  • If you have any reason at all to think the batteries in either the mouse or the keyboard might be at 50% or lower, replace them.  If you are running a Logitech K800 keyboard, try plugging it in (USB 2 port) and let it charge.

============================================================================================

I hope this helps!

Click the Kudos Star!

It is a great “Thank You” to the HP Experts who are here to help!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Does Hard Reset wipes all the data in my PC?

HP Recommended

NO, Hard Reset does not wipe out your data!

Hard Reset is a Driver Reset; this is NOT the Windows 8 Reset that installs the Operating System.  The Hard Reset procedure does not wipe out your files nor does it destroy your Windows setup in any way.

Why a Power Reset works to fix some issues: 

Hard Reset clears the driver instructions that usually persist from boot-to-boot.  The computer is forced to go read all “fresh” instructions from the drivers and software stored on-disk in the Operating System.  The action of clearing and forcing a reread of the on-disk drivers and software can solve some issues.

Why a Power Reset might Not Work:

If the issue is more than just entanglement, if the "good instructions" located in the Operating System are not good enough -- that is, you need an update, a new driver, or there is a problem that cannot be "untangled", then the Reset will not work.

If there is an underlying hardware problem the Power Reset will not work.

Click the Kudos Star!

It is a great “Thank You” for the Experts who offer aid.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Worked for me...Thanks a ton mate...God bless u...

HP Recommended

SyedShadab,

You are welcome!  I am glad it was that easy to fix this time.   Smiling.

Keep the instructions around -- Hard Reset works sometimes when stuff just "up and quits" on you.  It is something like a "device freshen" -- a kick in the device backend.

Happy Computing!

Click the Kudos Star!

It is a great way to say “Thank You” for the help.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi, Please could you tell me how to hard reset my laptop....My laptop is HP Envy 6 1100-se....

HP Recommended

Syed,

Welcome to the HP Forum!

The Hard Reset procedure is outlined in the HP document

I checked and your notebook appears to be the following.

1. If possible, shut down the notebook to a complete stop (full off).
  2. Remove the notebook for any port replicator or docking station.  If you do not know that that means, you are not using a dock or port replicator.
  3. Disconnect all external peripheral devices.  That means unplug everything from everywhere on the notebook: USB devices, external drives, extra monitors, printers...
  4. Remove the AC adapter.
  5. HP Envy 6 >>  Press and hold the Power button for 8-10 seconds.

IMPORTANT:  To all who are  reading this post:  The Press and Hold sequence may be DIFFERENT for your notebook -- read the HP document for specific information about YOUR computer.

Click the Kudos Star!

It is a nice way to say “Thank You” for the help.

Although I strive to reflect HP's best practices, I do not work for HP. 

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

My laptop boots up eventually after holding the power button and releasing....Is that okay?

HP Recommended

Syed,

The Power / Hard Reset is designed to "clear out" the bits of instructions that usually persist from one boot to the next.

This kind of reset forces the computer to go back to the Operating System that is installed on your hard disk and read all new instructions - drivers, programs that start at boot, everything that tells the computer how to operate.

If the computer is booting as a result of the Hard Reset, then (for now, at least), it did its job:  the computer boots.

You should NOT have to issue a hard reset more than occasionally -- read the documentation to understand more.

If the computer continues to hang, then you want to take a look at the programs that are Starting when the computer boots up and see if you can determine which program is causing the problem.

Click the Kudos Star!

It is a nice way to say “Thank You” for the help.

Although I strive to reflect HP's best practices, I do not work for HP. 

Dragon-Fur

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.